New Nano Tank Build

3xplorer19

Hey Guys,

I am currently in a process of building a new nano tank. I am waiting for my LFS to call me when it arrives so I can pick it up.
I am getting an old school, brand new, ordered from the manufacturer, all-in-one system, Fluval M40, 14 gallon. Measures 40cm x 42cm x 40cm.

My wife and I really dig how nano is it and how gorgeous it is, all around.

I also have a 40 breeder that has been setup for 19 months now.

My plan:

1. cut and transfer piece of media block from the sump into the new nano tank sump, cool?
2. cut and transfer chaeto over, ok?
3. new sand into the new nano tank?
4. chisel and transfer live rocks from old to new, possible?
5. fill up water coming from old tank into new, doable?

questions:
1. worry about cycles? what cycle would i get?
2. after all complete, can i transfer a pair of clowns right away or wait for a week or two?
3. transfer lps and euphyllia same time with the fishes?
4. any tips and advice would help...

3xplorer19

so no need to worry? with the exception of the sand, i can take piece of media block and chaeto, water, rocks and livestocks right away to new tank and no issues will occur? perhaps a mini cycle and that is it? any more tips please? good and bad?

3xplorer19

Hooray... I believe I’m getting my New Nano Tank Fluval M40 40cm x 42cm x 40cm today. Hope transfer is nice and smooth. Just reiterating that all would be good as mentioned above and no worries ?
Please advise.... thank you... little kid with new toy ....

L

Laikoo

Please use sand in your old tank and you will not lose the beneficial bacteria. If the water is used for just a week you can use it. If not, you need new properly prepared water. And do not clean the air pump.

3xplorer19

Please use sand in your old tank and you will not lose the beneficial bacteria. If the water is used for just a week you can use it. If not, you need new properly prepared water. And do not clean the air pump.
Thanks for the vast replies folks. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my Fluval M40 14G AIO didn't come as expected. Will have to wait now. Amazing thing is, I have chopped some of my media blocks and some live rocks in the sump that's been sitting for couple of months at least. I shouldn't have problem transfering them over in the Fluval M40. In regards to the used water from running tank, ones I get my new tank, and when i do water change, i'll just use old water to new tank same day etc... if you follow and go from there.....sand wise i was thinking of what you said...grab sand from old tank and transfer....with that said all should be cool right?

3xplorer19

Following up. Order for new nano tank cancelled... no response and was waiting 2 long months .... staying with what I got...thanks....