New Nano

rebelprettyboy

Tank is coming along nicely. Keep buying corals at ur rate and itll be full in no time!!! And I love seein mushrooms in nanos lol! U can tell by lookin at our tank!

genius172

Thanks Rebel I appreciate that. And I will keep buying corals any suggestions on what you think will do well in the tank?
Hey Subie, I thought about that too. And I asked my friend at the lfs and he said that they would do fine. I guess I would like something with great colors that will be ok for the nano. I had a royal gramma before in my previous tank but it didn't make it. The firefish is cool though

blazin2k6

WOW BRO, SLOW DOWN seriously. 3 fish already ? That is way too many. In a 14 gallon i wouldnt even have 2, Probably only 1. You should stay with what you have. That lawnmower blenny is gonna get to be about 6 inches long and wayyyy to be for that 14 gallon as well as the maroon clown. They are some of the biggest clowns i think there is. I seen one at my lfs that was like 5 inches long. Would be entirely too big for a 14 gallon. Come on bro please don't buy anyyyyy more fish. Dont know why anyone isnt telling you this. I mean that would be like you living in a 4 foot by 6 foot house or something. You would feel crazy and probably go insane or something.LOL. Just keep it how it is and buy corals. 3 Fish is plenty to watch. I aint complaining to you or anything but i just dont want ya having too many fish in there. Keep it the way it is. If anything you should take that lawnmower blenny out and go get another maroon so you can have a pair. And maybe even take the sixline out as well. Lawnmower blenny might starve to death if you dont have enough algae in your tank i have read. Goodluck though and hope everything works out well with your tank.

nissan577

im not gonne lie your tank is coming out better that mine.
but its true what blazin said slow down with the fish. i use to have a 12 nano tank before with a sixline wrasse and everything was great. and my friend had a 15 i believe with 4 fish i believe. which were a jarhead, a tomato clownfish, a wrasse and a chromis. and he was having trouble with it. and i believe the clownfish and the jarhead were always fighting. but really he even said it himself he had to much fish for his tank. and right now in my 75 gallon reef tank i have 4 fishy
. well good luck and love your tank

genius172

Thank you blazin & nissan...I guess what I'm doing is going by the template that the Nano- Reef Handbook has. It has 5 templates in it, one including a 10 gal and the next size is a 15 gal. I know that I only have a 14 gal but the book gives the suggestion of 13 different corals 1 motile invertebrate, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 candy basslet, 1 solar fairy wrasse, 1 pair of banggai cardinalfish, 10 paper bubble shells (which I have no idea of what they are) and 5 scarlet reef hermit crab.

So with fish by itself that's at least 4, that they are suggesting.
So far all my levels are in check, I feed every 2 days, and I have the protein skimmer and plenty of biological filtration. So is it just the size of the fish that make it's uncomfortable or is it the number of fish?

And as always thanks for the feedback and support...keep 'em coming.

keri

Have you considered a little zoo garden? even a couple of polyp frags of a few different colours really "pops" in a small tank and adds a lot of colour :)

genius172

LOL Hey Keri...I'm already one step ahead of you
I bought some polyps on yesterday. I will upload some pics later.

nissan577

to me i think its both. both the size and number will make it uncomfortable. if it was up to me i will leave atleast the sixline and clown but take the others back to the lfs for credit. and its cool you got polyps. im buying mine on ----. and so far ive been proud with the results.
but right now im having a little problem with my nano.
im trying everything i can to see what the problem is but i dont know. do you think you can help me? please check my thread new 3 gallon reef. thanks

genius172

I understand where you are coming from...so I decided not to get anymore fish. And if I wasn't so worried about redoing my aquascaping I would take the blenny back lol. I'll check out your thread to see if I can offer any advice.

genius172

Hey everyone,
...so I bought a protein skimmer that goes into the nano 14gal, but it doesn't seem to be working as a regular protein skimmer would meaning it doesn't seem to be picking anything up. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?

subielover

Sometimes, I think usually actually, protein skimmers need a week or two break in before they actually start doing a whole heck of a lot. What kind did you get?

genius172

Hey Subie,
I have the protein skimmer in there for about two weeks now but I'm not sure why it's not working. I think it's a "lemon" because the box states that instructions are include but nothing was in the box. It's an Oceanic Bio Cube

genius172

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their lights if you own a Oceanic Bio Cube? I thought that I had blown my 10,000K day light but I swithched it with my Actinic light and the day light worked. My LFS said I should call Oceanic and they may send me a replacement lid. Has anyone had this kind of bad luck?

nissan577

no i never had one. but i hope you can fix your problem. good luck.
well im really amazed of your tank. its really beautiful. i just fix my tank a while ago and so far things have been great. also i was checking out this tank 20g M-Tank by Finnex USA - Nano-Reef (Refugium) Edition and it got my attention. it has everything like a Oceanic. you really inspire me to build a bigger nano reef tank. thanks man. good luck with yours.

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by genius172
http:///forum/post/2741335
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their lights if you own a Oceanic Bio Cube? I thought that I had blown my 10,000K day light but I swithched it with my Actinic light and the day light worked. My LFS said I should call Oceanic and they may send me a replacement lid. Has anyone had this kind of bad luck?

Seems like something always happens with the lgihts. if you email them or call then theyll replace it w no questins asked. Usually ppl blalast goes out

genius172

Ahh thanks rebelprettyboy...I thought that I've read up here
in someone's else thread that they had a problem with their lights but I can't remember who posted it. So I'll give them a call on Tuesday since I'll have a better chance in contacting someone due to the hoilday.
And Nissan, thanks! That's has to be the best compliment that I've gotten in awhile! I draw so much inspiration from the people up here like yourself to keep me motivated to keep going.
So I'm still striving to do better.