New Nautilus Skimmer

jerrybsal

I just installed my new Nautilus skimmer with Mag7 pump,So far it seems to be working fine.The only problem I have is the Air intake is driving me crazy with the sucking sound.I tried putting a small air valve but that only slows down the bubbles and raises my water line. I also tried a small piece of sponge that too does not work.Does anyone else have this problem?It is a great skimmer If only I can get it to Stop sucking so loud....

kpogue

Extend the airline tubing - I had the same problem after I added a mag 7 on mine. Put about a foot of regular airline tube in addition to what was already there and it worked great. Just make sure the end of your extension is higher than your water level or it will siphon when you turn off the skimmer.

marinerock

HEY JERRY...
THE NOISE YOU ARE GETTING IS PROBABLY FROM THE
EXTENSION THAT GOES ONTO THE END OF THE MAG-DRIVE....
JUST TRY RAISING YOUR WATER LEVEL A LITTLE BIT
AND THAT MAY QUIET IT DOWN...
IF ITS ACTUALLY COMING FROM THE SMALL PIECE OF
BLACK AIRLINE TUBING THAT THEY SUPPLIED, IT MAY NOT
BE TOTALLY PUSHED INTO THE SMALL HOLE ON THE
EXTENSION...
ALSO, AS K SAID, MAKE SURE THAT THE PIECE OF
AIRLINE TUBING IS WAY ABOVE WATER LEVEL...ATTACH IT
TO THE VERY TOP OF THE CLEAR TUBING WITH THE
ZIP-TIE SUPPLIED....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

jerrybsal

Thanks Guys your ideas worked. Marinerock, I have read all the other post you have on this skimmer ( That is one of the reasons whyI bought this skimmer) It has been running for 3 days and it has not skimmed a thing. I have the water level about half inch from the neck like you have stated before,I have tried all levels and nothing. I dont get any rise into the top,I have a large bio-load in my 125 FO.Theskimmer I replaced was an old US Aquarium that was a piece of junk,But it was taking some stuff out. The bubbles at the top of the skimmer are not even dirty....Any other idaes would really help. This tank and current livestock that I feed very heavy has been running for 7 years So you would think a killer skimmer like this would start skimming right away..
Thanks for any ideas.....

marinerock

HEY JERRY....
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO POST A PICTURE OF
HOW IT IS ALL HOOKED UP ?
IF NOT, FIRST, THE WATER LEVEL THAT I WAS
TALKING ABOUT IN PREVIOUS POSTS IS THE WATER
LEVEL IN THE CLEAR WATER COLUMN OF THE
SKIMMER...THAT SHOULD BE APPROX. 1/2" FROM THE
BOTTOM OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE BLACK COLLAR
THAT THE SKIMMER CUP SITS ON...YOU SHOULD
VISIBLY SEE THE WATER LINE JUST FROM LOOKING
AT THE COLUMN...
ALSO, THE SKIMMER MAY NOT PRODUCE PROTEIN(FOAM)
FOR QUITE A FEW DAYS THEN ALL OF SUDDEN YOU
WILL SEE IT STARTING TO PRODUCE IT...
IF YOU CAN, PLEASE POST A PICTURE AND WE WILL
TRY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM IF THERE IS ONE...
BY THE WAY, ITS A GREAT SKIMMER...GOOD LUCK WITH IT...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK