New Oceanic Nano Protein Skimmer

sazarac

Hi all,
I got the new Oceanic Nano Protein Skimmer for the Biocube (29) yesterday for my b-day, and I was wondering how to use the thing. I have it set-up per instructions, but how do I know if it is working? So far I'm not getting ANYthing that looks like "crud" or thick green tea, or remotely like the descriptions I've read about online. I was told it came out on the market two weeks ago. Here is a link to the skimmer...
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...in-skimmer.htm
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Saz

matt b

ya o have 1 and it works wonders u need to make it so that the bubbles r just above the black part

sazarac

Hiya MaTT,
Do you mean above the "lid"?
That's what it looks like in the photo.
The instructions state just above the reaction chamber...
what you show makes more sense.
I'm having some problem with algae on the glass, will the skimmer help at all?
How long have you had it, and how often do you empty the collection cup?
Thanks for the photo.
Saz

matt b

ya ive had it for about a month.. clean it every few days.. and yes it will work on a aquapod bcus u can use the suction cup or u can like clip it on something.. the top need to be right above the watter level tho

zoie2

I got the fission nano skimmer when I bought my 12 gal. 2 years ago and I didn't like it. It would work good for a little bit but then get flooded. IT was hard to maintain the perfect water level it needed to really work. I think I had it in my 2nd chamber. I took it out after about 6 months. I have a small bag of activated carbvon sitting on my sponge in the 1st chamber and that seems to keep the surface clean and levels good.

sazarac

I got a better result now with the bubble level higher.
I got a light green tea today and it looked a little "oily".
It wasn't thick though. Should it be?
Also will this affect corals in a negative way?
I'd like to try some softies later next year.
Thanks for all the info.
Saz

matt b

Originally Posted by sazarac
I got a better result now with the bubble level higher.
I got a light green tea today and it looked a little "oily".
It wasn't thick though. Should it be?
Also will this affect corals in a negative way?
I'd like to try some softies later next year.
Thanks for all the info.
Saz
nah it dosent need to be thick

matt b

Originally Posted by john_waggs
Does the skimmer go on the intake side or in the chamber at the pump side of the biocube? Thanks.
u can put it anywhere but it fits best in the intake part

K

kat74

I'm looking into getting this one for my 29, but wanted to hear more reviews on it since it's still pretty "new".

One major thing that I am concerned about is if it malfunctions, how much of a problem it causes because my 29 is in my office and I leave there at about 6pm each day and from then until 8:30am the next day, there is no one there in case something happens to it. Will it flood and cause problems?? Run dry and burn up?
Anyone have any input?

sazarac

Yeah it's new. I visited the store this weekend where I bought the biocube, and the fellow I was talking too had never heard of it. (???)
Originally Posted by KAT74
I'm looking into getting this one for my 29, but wanted to hear more reviews on it since it's still pretty "new".
I've had it running since I got it. The only complaint I have is sometimes the "bubble level" seems to rise and fall for no reason. However, I've never used a protein skimmer, so for all I know that is normal.
I don't think the skimmer CAN flood. It is the same level as the water it is in, and the tubing has a "safety" on it, so even if the power goes off, or the pump stops working, it won't leak.
The skimmer can't burn up even if there isn't any water. The pump may go out, but it's just a small airpump. The airstone may have to be replaced, but the instructions state it should be changed once a month anyway. I turned the power off to see what it would do, and the water level inside the reaction chamber dropped to match the water level and that was all. Once I turned the power back on, it was business as usual.
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by KAT74

One major thing that I am concerned about is if it malfunctions, how much of a problem it causes because my 29 is in my office and I leave there at about 6pm each day and from then until 8:30am the next day, there is no one there in case something happens to it. Will it flood and cause problems?? Run dry and burn up?
Anyone have any input?

sazarac

Good, then it seems to be working perfectly. And while I am still getting some algae on the glass, it is taking longer to notice, and seems to be thinner. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. When dosing with idoine, should I turn the skimmer off? Thanks.
Saz
Originally Posted by MaTT B
nah it dosent need to be thick

K

kat74

Wow, thanks for the help. I'll keep watching your thread and check for updates, and if all goes well, I'll go ahead and get one too!
So, you just put it in the first chamber? I removed the stock filter cartridge and in my first chamber, I have my heater and a bag of Purigen. Will these have to be removed if I get the skimmer? Because if it does, I don't know where I will put my heater... I certainly don't want it in the display.

matt b

if u have a thiner heater it will fit with the skimmer but i dont think anything else would fit but u could put the rest in the return and it cant over flow i dont think bcus it dosent have a pump just a air pump im not sure how it works but it dose and its amazy

K

kat74

The heater that I have is the 100w stealth. Think it will fit in there with the skimmer?

BTW... how much are these things?

matt b

well do u already have the heater in there bcus i had a 100watt and it was to tall but the width was find so as long as its not to tall u will be good and they r about 40 bucks i think

K

kat74

Originally Posted by MaTT B
well do u already have the heater in there bcus i had a 100watt and it was to tall but the width was find so as long as its not to tall u will be good and they r about 40 bucks i think
Yes, it's already in there, and yes, it's too tall, but the top closes over it, so...
So do you think that it will still fit in there with the skimmer too?

matt b

ya in the 29 with the skimmer it leaves like 1 and a half inchs of width space so as long as ur heater is smaller then that u should be ok