new over flow not working.

reefcrazy

ok i bought a over flow at lfs and when i got home it didn't have instructions. i called lfs and they told me it was rated at 500gph. i bought a mag7 that pumps water up 4 1/2 feet up, that would be like 450 gph. i get the pump going but over doesn't work. any suggestions also the u tube on my over flow is 1in.

coralfishg2

I don't know but what I think you are saying is that the water is not going through the u tube. to get this going, all you have to do is take some air line, put it inside the u until it reaches the top of the u (where it's curved) make shure both ends of the u are submerged in water and then just suck all the air out of the tube. u might have to do this a couple of times, because u want to make shure that u do not have any air pockets, u will be able to see them. sometimes if there little you can just shake the u vigerously and get them out. I hope that helped and that's what you needed to know.

broomer5

Hi reefcrazy :)
What do you mean the overflow doesn't work ?
I mean I know it doesn't work - but how so ?
Did you remove air and prime it as coralfishg2 has described above ?
Have you tried raising or lowering the inner slotted box.
Does the overflow's outer box have a raised bulkhead fitting, like a standpipe that comes up into the box ? Or does it have a chamber or wall that maintains constant water level in this outer box ?
The outer box must have one of these two methods of keeping the water level somewhat constant in the outer box.
I've seen some good designs and some poor designs, can you describe your overflow in greater detail or even better post a pic ??