new over flow what pump should i get.

reefcrazy

i just got my self a over flow that my lfs had on special. they told me is good for 50 gph. now the pump will be sitting on the buttom and has to pump the water 5 feet up to get to the tank. does any one recomend any good pump.

option720

Are you sure it only does 50 GPH? That is not much for an over flow. What is the size of the bulkhead fitting or the u-tube? And if it is 50 GPH what size tank do you have?

broomer5

I'm with Option720 on this one.
50 gph is hardly a tickle in the world of overflows. Hmmmmmm .... you say this one was "on sale"
Maybe it's a 500 ?
I'd actually like to see it if it's a 50 gph. Nano reefers would appreciate such a device ;)

broomer5

Most likely then it has a 1 inch bulkhead fitting on the discharge. I'm guessing a 500 gph at this time.
Is there a manufacturer name on it - or a local acrylic shop make it for your lfs ?
Selecting a pump without knowing for sure the capacity of the overflow can be expensive if your oversize it. Wet carpet, mad hobbyiest, and have to buy a smaller pump then.
You want to keep trying to figure out the overflow reefcrazy ??
Be glad to help if I can ;)

reefcrazy

what was i thinking when i wrote 50 no is 500gph. i think it's a cpr over flow since the one they had on display had a cpr sticker in it, but mine don't. well here's a few pics of the over flow and sump. the sump is from cpr model cy192 with a build in skimmer.

well let me know on that pump.

broomer5

Ahhhhhh yes ;)
Much better
I checked out the CPR CY192 unit, and it says it's rated at 400 gph maximum. I don't think the overflow is a CPR brand, looks more like a LifeReef or LifeReef copy. Anyway, looks like some nice stuff ya got there reefcrazy !!!
At 5 feet vertical rise from where you plan to place the new pump to the point of return back into the tank, and given the equipment you already have AND assuming you want to go with a submersible return pump in your sump ......
MagDrive #7 would be a nice match up.
According to Danner/Supreme pump curve - a #7 pump should deliver;
480 gph at 4 feet head
400 gph at 6 feet of head
So you could expect flowrate somewhere between these values, assuming you are running either vinyl tubing or pvc pipe "direct" to the spraybar with no turns, elbows or tee's inline.
Also, the sump capacity was about 4 gallons maximum.
Last bit of information you probably already know, but still worth mentioning. When you place your "spraybar" into the tank, remember that upon powerloss water will siphon back to the sump through the opening in the spraybar. How much water that siphons back to sump is dependent on how deep the opening of the spraybar is in your tank. Either install the spraybar so it is just under the surface of the main tank water level at normal flowing conditions, or drill a small hole in the spraybar pvc just under this water level. If you mount the spraybar return in the bottom of your tank - you'll siphon all the water in the tank back to the sump to that level - not good at all.
If you already know all this stuff - I apologize for going on and on here ;)
Good luck - looks good !!!!!