new overflow box and no instructions, How do i adjust flow rate?,its made by amiracle

silent bob

i have overflow boxs on my other tanks but there rio's and i never tried these before and can't figure out how to adjust flow rate, help!

mr . salty

You should not try to adjust the flow rate of an overflow box.Any adjustments/restrictions shoule be made on the return,between the pump and the tank.If the pump does not have any adjustments on it,you can install a ball valve...

mr . salty

That shouldn't make any diference.If it is flowing too fast,you put a valve on the return,,,NOT THE OVERFLOW...Restricting the overflow/supply line to the sump,but not the pump will cause an imballance where the pump will drain the sump faster than the overflow can refill it.This can,and will,burn up the pump.And over fill(FLOOD) the tank...

nm reef

Silent Bob.....(by the way I'm a Bob also).....if flow rate is a concern.......like salty said it may not be wise to restrict the overflow.........my refugium is a low flow rate and what I used is a Hagen power head with flexable tube to feed the refugium and flexable tube for returns(gravity return in my case).....when I was planning my refugium set up I concluded that any type of overflow would provide more flow rate than I was looking for.....thats why I went with a single PH to pump from display to refugium with 2 returns from refugium back to the display.........in mine the flow rate is approximately 65-75 GPH in a 30 gal refugium

sonny

The flow rate is determined by the pump, not the overflow. If you restrict your overflow, you may end up flooding your floor. If the rate is too fast, get a smaller pump, or restrict the flow on the pump. The overflow will only flow as fast as the pump pumps!
Sonny