New Percula Clowns

M

mektnf04

I have had my 55 gal FOWLR tank (very little live rock so far) up for over a month and went and purchased two tank raised percula clowns from a local pet store that a professional tank cleaner told me that it was a good place to buy from. One of my clowns died after 14hrs in my tank and the other is on day 5 and I have yet to see him eat. He is always hiding and now he seems to be swimming funky. He keeps turning on his side at the bottom of the tank but is still swimming in place. Is he OK?? If not what can I do?

M

mektnf04

I don't know all the parameters because they tested the water for me. Here is what I know
specific gravity 1.022
temp 78
PH 8.4
and they were acclimated by putting the bag they were in in the water for 20 mins. Then putting a glass full of my water in the bag with the water they came in and floating it for 20mins then put them in my water without dumping any water into my tank

thegrog

Water parameters:
Temp, pH, SG (you gave these)
Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
Ammonia and nitrite are the big two that will kill a fish. Do a 10% water change now and get yourself a test kit from a LFS. Report back when you have the numbers.

M

mektnf04

What is the proper way to change the water. I have some more parameters only thing missing now is ammonia and I am getting a test kit for that today. Everything looked good.
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Alkalinity 300ppm
pH 8.4
SG 1.022
temp 78-79
I'll let you know what ammonia is when I find out. My clown is still swimming but still acting funny too. I hope he is okay, I don't want to lose him too.

f1shman

A much better acclimation procedure is to not float them at all or for a max of 5 min, put them in a bucket that is large/small enough so that the fish is completely covered with water, use a small tube to slowly drip water (like a drop evey second or two) into the bucket for at least an hour, then either scoop the fish up or use a net and put them in the tank. Floating is really unnecessary for saltwater and adds to the stress since they're in a small bag for longer.

mimzy

oooh... I hope your little guy makes it...
for next time, it's a really good idea to ask the associate at your LFS to feed the fish infront of you to make sure the specimens you want are actually eating - this will give u a good jump on the health of your fish.
Also, check out the "acclimation" article on this site (it's a big blue button to your left on the screen) - they've got good techniques in there. A lot of people acclimate for even longer than the site reccomends - salt water creatures are quite delicate and take a LOT of time to acclimate.
It's all about patience - and knowing where to get information :yes:
Good luck again with the little guy that's left... keep us posted!

f1shman

The Way I Water Change:
1. Turn off all equipment
2. Have 2 empty buckets
3. Siphon the water from the tank into a bucket, once the bucket is almost full i put the hose into the other bucket, while the other bucket is filling, i empty the full bucket.
4. Once you have siphoned out approximatly 20% of your water start adding the new water slowly and try not to stir up the sand etc..
5. Turn equipment back on
6. Clean up

M

mektnf04

I assume I should mix the salt and fresh water prior to adding the new water to the tank, so how long should I have it mixed before adding it. Also, do I test the new water for my tank before putting it in or after(I assume before, am I right)

hot883

Originally Posted by mektnf04
I assume I should mix the salt and fresh water prior to adding the new water to the tank, so how long should I have it mixed before adding it. Also, do I test the new water for my tank before putting it in or after(I assume before, am I right)
It is recommended that when new salt water is mixed that you aereate or put a power head in the container to circulate the new sw for ATLEAST 24 hrs. This helps stabilize the new water. This is what I have gathered from this site. Everyone has thereown acclimation techniques, but sounds like the method you used was a little long in the bag, IMO. You will see what I mean when you read the "acclimation" bar to the left of your screen. Good luck and keep us posted.

M

mektnf04

He is still alive and seems okay. My question now is howmuch does a percula clown eat and how long can it survive without eating. I have yet to see mine eat and I have had him for a week. I think he is eating whatever little pieces float right in front of him, but nothing significant that I see. Is this normal for a clown? Would it make him happier if I bought another clown or should I get him an anemone. I am looking into getting a bubble tip. What is the minimum kind of lighting is need for this kind of anemone. I am not even sure what I have. The light says 20"flourescent 19w 120v 60 hz and it came with the tank that was given to me by my parents. It is a 55 gal octagon tank and it has a wooden top that you have to lift open to get to the light. What is the best light for the money this kind of tank if I want to have a bubble tip anemone and maybe some coral later on like finger coral and maybye some others. I am completely new at this so let me know if I am choosing wrong. One last thing, when they say flow, does that mean how much the water moves around in your tank? How do you know what is medium?
Thanks in advance. I look forward to taking this on as a hobby and am very excited.

hot883

mektnf04, I do not think buying an anemone would be good at this time. I'm new too and I read a whole thread yesterday on how many hobbiest kill their 1st, 2nd, and often 3rd or more anemone's. And some are actually reluctant to help us newbies with them, because they think we will just kill them anyway. I am waiting until I am more experienced and have done more research on the subject first. Clown's in my limited experience and from reading on here is they don't require one for survival. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Fisman gave great advice on water change and ALSO acclimation. Key IMO though is don't RUSH. Good luck.

jbatjr

as HOT said "do not rush" I am still new too before I moved I had a 55 gal with clowns and they did not need anything except my live rock to hide in then I went to the pink tip anemone as they were only 9.99 at my local LFS and they lived great I never had any issue with them as they are great to start with to test and see if you can handle them. I did lose everthing though in my move to FL and am now setting up a 90gal, I just finished making all of the ro/di water yesterday and my whole filter setup will be here today. :jumping: good luck to you.

reneerose

i have wondered the same thing...i recently just got my clown. and acclimated him the way they said above. and for some odd reason my clown stays at the top of the tank and rarely comes down...i have also only seen hime eat once....any advice anyone?

S

skysmom

Originally Posted by RENEEROSE
i have wondered the same thing...i recently just got my clown. and acclimated him the way they said above. and for some odd reason my clown stays at the top of the tank and rarely comes down...i have also only seen hime eat once....any advice anyone?

Mine did that too, was acclimated for longer than what was told, everything. He lived pretty good for the first week, and then he died. I was told by the LFS that it was probably because my oxygen levels in the lower portions of the tank were too low and he suffocated. I needed more water movement.

M

mektnf04

Originally Posted by hot883
It is recommended that when new salt water is mixed that you aereate or put a power head in the container to circulate the new sw for ATLEAST 24 hrs. This helps stabilize the new water. This is what I have gathered from this site. Everyone has thereown acclimation techniques, but sounds like the method you used was a little long in the bag, IMO. You will see what I mean when you read the "acclimation" bar to the left of your screen. Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't have an extra powerhead. How much does one cost?