New Pink Tube Anenome!

mujtba

did you get that from THR in PA? I saw it yesterday and was SOOOOO eager to get it, but I didnt know anything about it so I stopped. it was awesome looking tho.. i should have just gotten it because this stuff is rarely seen at LFSeses.. damn im pissed!! anyway, what are charactstiscs?

wattsupdoc

Dont know what your talking about...THR inPA???? It has no lighting requirements. It is reported to be a fish killer/eater... But my purple one never bothered anything. It's a filter feeder. And this one is HUGE. I mean like probably10 in tentacles. It's finally fully extended. In the pic above it wasnt yet.

mx#28

They are non-photosynthetic but, in my experience, they've never seemed to be sensitive to high lighting, either. They are also not true anemones and will not host clowns, but I think claims about their aggressiveness and their threat toward fishes are greatly exagerated.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by MX#28
but I think claims about their aggressiveness and their threat toward fishes are greatly exagerated.
I couldnt agree more, after doing lots of research on the Ceriantharia I too believe their reputation as fish killers is ill deserved, it is actually believed they are primarily a filter feeder (feeding on small zooplankton) the fish killer thing is just a little unreal as they have far less powerful stings than say Stichodactyla or Cryptodendrum (carpet anemone and adhesive anemone) wich are less often warned about than the tube and yet are far more voracious and agressive. they even have weaker nematocysts than bubble tip anemone which everyone consider fish safe but that couldnt be further from the truth. I used to think the tube anemone were hunter killers but I no longer believe this to be true. pretty much all the facts show that, though it may get lucky and snag an unhealthy/weak/small/confused fish, its actually a safer anemone than most others chosen for the reef aquarium. the biggest problem is placement because it can reach quite far and irritate/damage corals with its tentacles.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I couldnt agree more, after doing lots of research on the Ceriantharia I too believe their reputation as fish killers is ill deserved, it is actually believed they are primarily a filter feeder (feeding on small zooplankton) the fish killer thing is just a little unreal as they have far less powerful stings than say Stichodactyla or Cryptodendrum (carpet anemone and adhesive anemone) wich are less often warned about than the tube and yet are far more voracious and agressive. they even have weaker nematocysts than bubble tip anemone which everyone consider fish safe but that couldnt be further from the truth. I used to think the tube anemone were hunter killers but I no longer believe this to be true. pretty much all the facts show that, though it may get lucky and snag an unhealthy/weak/small/confused fish, its actually a safer anemone than most others chosen for the reef aquarium. the biggest problem is placement because it can reach quite far and irritate/damage corals with its tentacles.
+1... IMO they are a great addition to a tank. Mostly nocturnal though although its not uncommon to see them when the lights are on.

isistius

i had a purple one with green center for almost a year (just sold it). never killed a fish, ate everything that i fed the rest of the tank, and i also supplemented with 1/2 a silverside ever 2 weeks or so. it was always out in my tank. it only hid when it was scared, and that wasn't very often. i think they are a great addition, and provide for some awesome additional color schemes.
very nice acquisition wud

matt b

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Heres a full tank shot with it in the 135.
WOW thats amazy u think i could do1 in a 29gal biocube if i put it far from everything.. or a 55 and how hard are they to keep alive

hefner413

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
the biggest problem is placement because it can reach quite far and irritate/damage corals with its tentacles.
What are the rec's when getting one? Gotta try to get it a place all to itself so it leaves others alone? And if so, how hard is it to get them to stay in one place? Are they movers?
BTW - awesome pics!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Hefner413
What are the rec's when getting one? Gotta try to get it a place all to itself so it leaves others alone? And if so, how hard is it to get them to stay in one place? Are they movers?
BTW - awesome pics!
THey cannot move, the have similarities to anemones in regards to eating and stinging. Although their poison is the least toxic of all anemones. It requires a sand bed becuase it burrows. And just make sure there is room between it and your corals.

hefner413

sweet! Not moving is a huge bonus. Thanks watsupdoc, you gave me something to start looking into getting!

mx#28

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
THey cannot move, the have similarities to anemones in regards to eating and stinging. Although their poison is the least toxic of all anemones. It requires a sand bed becuase it burrows. And just make sure there is room between it and your corals.
They CAN move. They have a few methods of locomotion. 1st, they burrow in the sand and can move from place to place through a tunnel network under the substrate. 2nd, they are very bouyant and can dislodge from their tubes, if they are unhappy, and go floating around the tank untill they find a new home (this is a good time to have sponges on the intakes of powerheads). If they are in a good location and are fed enough, they don't seem to wander much, but they are certainly capable of it.