New Powerhead suggestions

mombostic

Okay, tomorrow is the big day. I'm ditching the UGF and changing my cc for sand. So, I've got Penguin powerhead that sit on the lift tubes of the UGF. When I take them off of the tubes, they sort of dangle there--not visually pleasing!!! What is a good powerhead that you all use in your sandy bottom reef tanks. I want one that does the job, but I'm also not wanting to take out a loan to get them!
Thanks!

puffer32

Maybe you can hide them with your rock? No PH are nice to look at so you might as well use the ones you already have to just hang there anyway lol. As long as they create enough flow, I would stick with what you already have and just try to hide them someway.

mombostic

Well, my problem with them is that they aren't very stable. Does that matter? I can't really hide them far down in the tank because part of their attachment is a bracket that goes over the edge of the tank. Then there is one suction cup. If I stick it down in the water, there will just be the one suction cup and it will be even more unstable--in fact, I don't even know if one would hold it up. I could try to rig it up somehow with another cup, maybe.

puffer32

You could use duct tape on the outside to hold the cord more stable so the PH doesn't slode down further into the water, I read that someplace on here. I have heavy ones and it worked for me because the suction cups wouldn't hold it long, I was forever putting my hands into the water to reattach the cups and retrieve my PH from the sand on the bottom, making a real mess!

mombostic

That's not a bad idea. I have a backing on the tank so it wouldn't show. Then I wouldn't have to buy four new powerheads.
I was wondering about those rotating ones. I was sort of interested in maybe replacing one of my plain ones for one of those. Anyone ever use one?

E

exile415

the rotating ones are the duck beak ones. there okay. but maxi-jets seem to be better.

zbrook1

I agree with loon....go with the Maxi-jets...........I also have 3 ...two 1200 and one 900 in a 55 and the flow is great........tank tenants love it!!!.......shop on line for them....Im not sure if I can mention the place I got mine at on this board bit I got both 1200 for around 40.00 including shipping...........If intrested email and Ill let you know

puffer32

I us a maxt jet also, and its a great PH, but I also use 2 other brand that I used with an underground filter awhile back. All look and hang the same. The maxi is more powerful though. All I am saying to the poster is is am using what I have and when they stop working I will buy max's, in the mean time, go with what you have if you can.

ctgretzky9

ditch what ya got...powerheads are so cheap in the scope of what this hobby costs!
You don't want a powerhead falling down and stirring up so much crap, especially in a sand bed! It can lock up if it falls into sand with the particles getting caught in the unit. Don't take a chance with such an inexpensive peice of important equipment.

mombostic

Well, it's finished now. For now I'm not ordering any other equipment. I have my old powerheads in there good for now. Thanks to everyone for responding. A lot of people say the maxi-jet, so I'm thinking I might go that way in the next month or so.
Thanks again!
P.S. I have a good place where I get my stuff, an that price of 40 for two is just exactly what I see when I look those up. Maybe it's the same place!

reefnutz

I have been looking for nwe PHs, zbrook I tried to e-mail you to get more info but it said I was blocked. Could you e-mai me the info?