New QT tank

dana&pj

I am going to set up a small (5 or 10 gal) QT tank this week. I intend for it to be FOWLR
I am going to get a Hang on back filter. (I am not sure what kind and suggestions would be appreciated)
My question is: If I opperate the filter on my established 100 gal reef for a day or so first, use rock from my own tank or the LFS and sand from my tank and from one of those live sand bags from the LFS (about half and half), and water from my tank. Will I still have a cycle? Will it be shorter?
I have a sick hippo tang and I don't want to loose him, I am going to fresh water dip him and return him to the QT tank instead of my reef - which gets devastated when I have to chase him around to get him out. ( Yes, I have been through this drill before) That way if he gets sick again I have him in a smaller space.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this little adventure would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dana

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Dana&PJ
I am going to set up a small (5 or 10 gal) QT tank this week.
Please go with the 10 gal.
I intend for it to be FOWLR
No, unless you are willing to sacrifice your LR. QT is a place to treat sick fish. Fish treatments will kill off all organisms on LR. Additionally, some medications are absorbed by LR making the treatment less effective. Specifically copper and antibiotics.
I am going to get a Hang on back filter. (I am not sure what kind and suggestions would be appreciated)
I use an eclipse all in one in my QT. Along with a small Fluval underwater filter. If you can get a sponge filter, also add that to your QT. It will require an air pump. Sponge filters can be seeded from your main tank by placing it in your tank for a few days.
My question is: If I opperate the filter on my established 100 gal reef for a day or so first, use rock from my own tank or the LFS and sand from my tank and from one of those live sand bags from the LFS (about half and half), and water from my tank. Will I still have a cycle? Will it be shorter?
As I said, don't use LR unless you are willing to sacrifice it. Use only a couple of cups of sand in a QT. You can use the sand from your display. Take a look at the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum for info on QT. Yes, you will have to struggle to keep the QT from not going into a cycle while the fish is in QT. However, you will have a good seeding in the QT with the things you mention.
I have a sick hippo tang and I don't want to loose him, I am going to fresh water dip him and return him to the QT tank instead of my reef - which gets devastated when I have to chase him around to get him out. ( Yes, I have been through this drill before) That way if he gets sick again I have him in a smaller space.
What is wrong with the hippo? FW dips really won't "cure" anything.

dana&pj

My Hippo has ich.
The rest of the tank has not succumbed to the problem, just the small hippo who was new to the tank when the problem was introduced.
My plan (which I am willing to revise) is to fresh water dip him and then house him in the smaller tank until he is cleared of the problem for the full four weeks and then return him to the main tank.
I do not want to tear up my reef everytime I have to dip him so keeping him in the small tank with one or two large rocks will make it possible to get him for re-dips w/o indangering the other inhabitants. I will also be treating both tanks with kick ich, which I credit as the reason no other fish in the main tank is ill.
I hate to not use the tank except on the rare occasion that I have this problem, and I was thinkning that it might be wise to keep a smaller tank with similar parameters that all new fish go into for a short time until they are certain to be in good health.
What do you think?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Dana, your tank is now infected with ich. Make no mistake about it. FW dips will not cure ich, it will only stress out your fish. At the very best, it may kill of a few parasites on the fish, but that leaves your tank which is still infected.
There are only 2 viable treatments: copper and hyposalinity. Hyposalinity is the safest for the fish. Both treatments require setting up a quarantine tank. Please take a look at the FAQ thread on the subjects of Quarantine, Hyposalinity.