New Racoon Butterfly

mjordan23

I have a FOWLR Tank...125 gallons, 85 lbs of lr, 2 pec. clowns, 1 ytdamsel, 1 coral beauty, 2 niger triggers......Last night (Friday) I added a 5inch racoon butterfly fish. Its still not eating though.....I put in mysis shrimp, and some flakes and nothing. The fish dont bother her at all....she is just swimming around and thinks about picking off the rock or glass but then doesnt...once in a while it will pick...What should I do....it looks pretty fat so I know its not hunger striken yet.....Will it eat the bugs that come out at night.
Thanks
Mark

reefboys

She's a butterfly so this is pretty normal. Give it some time and if it continues to not eat add some garlic to the food to entice her to eat.

reefboys

I would assume she'll eat both. It just might take a little bit of time. I don't think you need to be worrying too much yet.

mjordan23

it is now sunday...and i fed my fish twice today....first flakes/pellets...she didnt eat at all.....when I woke her up this morning she was picking on the rocks alot....throughout the day she was looking to pick but woundnt except for occasionally......the second time I fed my fish was mysis shrimp....she ate some on the ground like 4....every time she took one she would shake her whole body....what does that mean.....Alot of my live rock is getting brown algea on it and she wont touch it....What can I add to my water to help get my algea healthier............
Should I be worried about my fish now?

psusocr1

my racoon only eats aptasia and seaweed, nori...try the algae sheets and the racoons hould eat them,, other than that mine only picks the rocks as well and it very fat and happy

mjordan23

my triggers would probably grab the clam before the racoon bf even saw it....what do you think the shaking/twitching was when she ate a few mysis shrimp? Any remedies for my brown algea and/or slime algea?

boozzbro

they are "picky" type eaters. Basically they bite and pull away. was it a motion like that or was it a real twich. Twitching could be a sign of disease.

mjordan23

tonight she picked more on the food but made a weird motion when she ate like a twitching or like she was choking....she does not do this when shes not eating. She does have some tiny tiny white spots on her....I cant tell if its parasites or particles..........My lfs said it could take a week or so to eat.........If she is truely healthy fish and its ich there is a good chance she could beat it right?!?!?!?

boozzbro

from they way you are describing it it kind of sounds like its the way your fish is eating. if it starts to do this twiching when its not eating its definately a problem. Especially if it starts rubbing on the sand or rock.
also ich wont just go away. you need to treat it. wether you want to go with hyop or another type of treatment is up to you.
i would take it out and put it into a quarantine tank if i were you. in my experience white spots usually = ich.

psufan43

i have a white face and lavartus butterfly, they didnt eat at first also, live fresh muscle still in the shell, crack it open and rinse and drop it in the bottom of the tank, it will work, i can almost gurantee it.