New Reef Tank

fishnugget

I have been a fish only hobbyist for 38 years. I want to start a large reef. I have heard many conflicting stories on set up, from DSB to typical wet/dry set ups. I would welcome any info on what you may feel is the best configuration. I am looking at a 240 Gallon tank. Live rock? DSB? Both Other? What equipment should I get. Should I use that new cycled Argonite product? Can I put corals in right after I use DSB, Live rock and this product?
HElp.
Rich

nm reef

Thats a lot of questions....best place to start is with a general overview of the basics. Below is a link that may cover most of your initial questions:
reefkeeping 101
If it was my system I'd start with a DSB & close to 1 - 1.5 lbs of LR per gal. I would use a sump to provide adaquate circulation(8-10 times volume per hr)...along with the sump I would plan for a refugium with a lower flow rate. Lighting would be a combination of VHO's & MH. That is just a quick list of the major features....a system the size you are planning would take time/patience and lots of TLC.......I'd like to develope my own but it'll have to wait a while! Good luck with yours and I hope the link helps....:cool:

slick

I agree with NM I would also go with 4-6 inches of DSB and 1-1.5 lbs of liverock per gallon on tank water. Run a sump that can handle the amount of water flow you will need 8-10 times the water volume of your tank. A lot of people use rufugium. I don't have one yet but yould recommend you check them out. I'm not familiar with the cycled argonite product your talking about so I cant help you there. Take time to cycle your tank completly before you add anything to it.