new refuge

oceanjumper

Thanks for the store weblink. Looks great. I have been looking more stores in the area.
If you would also be so kind and look at my post.....

reefsoe

DO you think you can either put a small wooden stand to raise the refuge up to the level of the sump... then you can just hook up an overflow/u tube just put a peice of fiberglass screen over the U tube end that is in the refuge so nothin get sucked up and pulled into the sump

broomer5

Unless you check that screen over the U tube ALL THE TIME ~ I would never block the opening of the U tube.
That's a disaster waiting to happen.
The overflow would work as ReefSOE suggested, if the fuge is indeed up higher than the sump.
The kicker to watch out for ~ refugium flowrates are normally kept pretty low.
If you don't have enough flow through the U tube - air bubbles can become entrapped in the upper curve of the tube.
Happens often.
If allowed to continue - the air gap grows to a point where it can break siphon in the U tube.
More wet floors under the tank then.
It can and is done - just realize that you need to "babysit" the U tube - keep a close eye on how it's performing.
Or maintain sufficient flow to drive the air bubbles on through the tube.
Changing over to an acrylic or plastic tank with drilled hole/bulkhead(s) - eliminates this worry - almost entirerly.

oceanjumper

But where do you get these Acrylic tanks and bulkheads???? Custom-made is so expensive. Are there any standard sized boxes somewhere (besides the Eclipse systems)?

bdhough

Amoroso,
They've got a hell of a setup. Theres a store here called Fish World. They are pretty good. They are going through expansion right now. A little pricey but they do sales all the time. Last weekend everything was 20% off and LR was 5 a lb. Unfortunately LR is normally 8 a lb and they are the best source for it. How much is it at that store?
I only have a 12 gallon reef. My first.... Its what i could afford and fit in this apartment. Its going well. Water has been almost perfect since the beginning but i only have 30 watts of light. Im waiting for my yellow and green buttons to start spreading. If i can scrounge up some money soon i may get a brain. I have a spot for him right under the lights so he should be ok i think. If you ever come up with a spare mushroom patch let me know. I'll buy it off of you if its cheap. As in cheaper than the dang fish store. Here's my email
bdhough@unity.ncsu.edu

bdhough

Ocean Jumper,
Go to lowes or home depot and ask around. They should have what you need. You just might have to put it together yourself.

oceanjumper

Thanks. Well, I actually just went to HD (before reading this post). In another post I read you should not look for bulkheads in the plumbing section but in the electricity area. And indeed, I found them!! (Of course the ones that I really needed were sold out...). Well, at least I know where to find them. Oh yeah, they are also not called bulkheads but something like carfix.... (truly a name that didn't make sense to me.... on the other hand, I'm just a humble Dutch guy...)
I am familiar with Fish World. Also a neat store.

A

amoroso6

okay, I could not wait until this weekend so I made the changes I talked about earlier tonight. I'll send the pic's of each stage and explain what I did. comments welcome. this does slove the problem of overflow and I didnt have to drill anything.
The first pic is the original set up using an inbound and outbound pump and as you all have read this is just asking for trouble (thanks to those who brought it to my attention)
Alex

A

amoroso6

this pic is after I removed the berlin skimmer from the sump and removed both the inbound and outbound pumps from the fuge

A

amoroso6

this one shows the berlin skimmer reinstalled in the 10 gallon tank and the whole system running. the 10 gallon tank is dry no water.

A

amoroso6

this is a closeup of the sump/fuge with the sections I made using plexi and silicone

A

amoroso6

bdhough ,
no I havent bee to that store the aquarium shop in greensboro (the one I posted the link for) has excellent LR and if you wheel and deal with them you can get LR figi for about 4.5 LB and this is good stuff fully covered in Purple coraline, just look at the pic below and this rock has only been in the tank for 4 months

oceanjumper

Wanna trade for 1 Maxijet 900?
What I plan to do is similar to your setup. However, I would raise the (original) refuge, have part of the outflow of the main tank go into the sump, part into the refuge. The refuge would also drain into the sump. You only need one retuirn pump in the sump and the system is (virtually) risk free from flooding. Just make sure you have enough capacity in the sump with power outages (and you need to drill an outflow hole in the refuge).
Nevertheless, very neatly done, all those pic's per stage.

A

amoroso6

OceanJumper,
this is cool I didnt know you all were from this area we should get email each other and maybe trade a few frags, I have plenty of pulsing xenia.
I hope the thread has hepled you with your fuge questions, If youare still having a problem with bulkhead supplies try a boat shop they always have bulkheads for live wells etc.
Alex

oceanjumper

Alex,
Cool indeed. I found everything. Cap'n Pete helped out a lot and I have placed the orders at atlantispetsupply.com (for the tank aka kritter keeper) and petsolutions.com (for the bulkheads).
I will take pictures per stage as well.
Do you have already automated top-off? You could use one of the maxijets for that (well, you still need to buy a float switch for ~$60).
My email address is oceanjumper@hotmail.com. I live close to HW 40 and can be in Greensboro in 40 min. I might take you up on the Xenias though I have not much to trade now. Some aiptasias? :) I am willing to buy a few from ya in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Marc

A

amoroso6

Oj, No I dont have an automated top off YET:D and thats a good Idea, I also thought about using one to Boost my output on my RODI system, they wont go to waste. I am currently modifying my 30gallon with new MH lights and can possibly use them there as well.

A

amoroso6

Oj, we can work something out with the xenia just let me know when your tank is ready and I can place a small rock near the patch and in a few days they will jump onboard.