new refuge

A

amoroso6

okay this may sound crazy but my skimmer seems to be running better producing a nice dry foam, the only changes made were longer hosed and the skimmer out of the water:confused: go figure. Another thing i have noticed is that with the 10 Gla empty with only the skimmer I now have enough room for a cal reactor :D oops dont tell the wife
Alex

richard rendos

Aquarium Shop in Greensboro is a nice shop. I have been there like 5 times over the past 4 years with wamp. I like the shop, but the prices are high. Good quality corals and fish, though. I guess you get what you pay for.
P.S. The refugium looks great!

A

amoroso6

hey richard, yeah they can be high but if you shop there enough you can usually talk them down abit..
Alex

wamp

High, but for the area, they are the only place around with half way healthy stuff...
I personally don't like the guys anymore. Last time I was there, they were talking trash about the guy who just left and no doubt, when I left they were doing the same..
They do have an awsome display though. Their prices change from day to day in the display. I bought a Blastimosa Wellsi from their display tank. One day it was 55 and when I bought it, it jumped to 75! Oh well, when you have nice corals, you can charge what you want..

bdhough

My brother having worked at Aquamanes has been to the shop. He didn't like the guys to much. Said something about ripping people off by getting them to buy this and that.....
And to all you close guys im looking for a mushroom patch so let me know..... I think my email is in an earlier post per this thread. Preferably purple....

danrw84

nothing is under the tank
you think the hang on cpr is a better buy? i actualy just ordered one
3 gal under would be cool though, unless its too hard to do? is it? what is involved ? would it be more than 83 bucks? thats how much i got the cpr for

danrw84

main reason for wanting to do this is the light, and so i can see whats in the refug..and trim the algae etc.
a 3 gal would fit perfectly. ALL I HAVE IS THE REEF TANK, NO SUMP or REFUG. i just want to make a refugium i guess?
Whats the differnce of a sump and refug?
so i basically want the 3 gal glass tank under the stand, with my 13 watt light so i can look in it, and the light wont be shining out the back of my tank at night...and getting into my tank as well!?
what do i need to do?
i have no overflow. how much are they?
whats a total cost estimate of the entire project (excluding the 3 gallon tank, i have that already)
thanks a bunch

bobbyzat

I have read through all of this, and am planning a similar set up, only a bit simpler. My question is, can i place my refugium next to and higher than my sump. Then push water into it with a powerhead, and let it drain back in through a bulkhead in the side draining back into the sump. From what i see, this would allow me to control water flow through refugium, by use of a powerhead of my choosing, and if the powerhead fails, the water in refugium just levels out to bulkhead, and is essentially out of the loop. Am i planning this correctly, or is something obvious gonna bite me in the ass? Thanks.

johnnysalt

that's exactly what I did with my sump. I made the sump out of a 20g long tank, so I had plenty of room for a refugium from almost half the length of the sump. (I divided off the sections with plexi and silicone) I had the 2nd to last section for the return and the last section was the refugium. the return h20 went to the tank of course, but also T'd off into the refugium with a ball valve that I could control the gph with. I drilled holes in its wall so that it would spill back over into the return area again.
email me if you have any questions! ....or if you want a pic of it!
John