New Refugium Ideas

big dave

Hey guys let me begin with the current tank stats and go from there.
29 gallon reef
2x75 watt VHO
cpr bak-pak skimmer w/ media removed and 200 watt heater in media area
70-80 lbs LR
40 lbs LS
Yellow-Tail Damsel-1"
PJ Cardinal-1.5"
2 turbo snails
very few corals only star polyps, zoanthids, and button polyps since the tank is only 9 months old
Heres the plan::
remove skimmer and set up a 30 gallon refugium 3/4 filled w/ 4x20 NO lighting
The refugium will be a combination Caulerpa/Mangrove sump and contain:
pair harleqiun shrimp
Arrow crab
4-6 mangroves
a ton of caulerpa
small clean up crew
Has anybody tried such a small tank with such a realatively large refugium?? Anything else anyone wants to recommend would be very helpful. I am going to plan on adding maybe 2 more fish to the main tank. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a 6-line wrasse and a cherub angel. Any fish or invert reccomendations would also be appreciated.

mr . salty

That refugium sounds good too me,just a couple of reccomendations.SKIP THE CLEANUP CREW...You want this refugium to become a safe haven for algae to grow freely.This is one of the points af having one.The crew would be defeating the purpose of having it...That size is actually BIG in relation to your main tank.Most people run much smaller ones with good results.I only have a 10 gallon hooked to a 130 gallon tank,and have seen great results...

nm reef

I run a 30 gal refugium on my 55.....but without the critters and mangrove.........basically 40 lbs ls(with approx 20 lbs rubble&crud from lfs curing tanks)...several types of caulpera that are under 2x40 watt no (lighting is 24/7)....skimmer and heater are in there too.....flow rate is approx 65-75 gph......and its gravity return.........works great.....zero nitrates and a flourishing pod population.....and virtually no un-wanted types of algae in the main tank

johnnysalt

Hey Big Dave,
Just for fun/proof, I am leaving my skimmer in my sump until my 10 mangroves and caulerpa have an effect of how little it will start to skim. I've read Thiel's notes that say he doesn't have skimmers on the reef tanks anymore that have mangroves in 'em!
Let us know you're nitrate stats over the next few months too! :cool: