New Rhizo typus

arasa

Hey all,
I just got a new rhizo on sale for a bill. I have him in my 29 gallon bio cube and he's just doing great. I currently shoot mysis with an eyedropper whenever he opens up, but I was wondering if they can eat pretty much anything? I have zooplankton that I feed my other hard corals, but can the Rhizo eat this as well? Also considering the fact the coral is non-photosynthetic, how often do you clean the tank?
Thanks

spanko

From Bluezoo
"Description
The corals in the genus Rhizotrochus, or Rhizo for short are a deep water, non-photosynthetic variety that are most commonly collected near Japan. These corals are very similar in nature to those found in the genus Tubastrea, commonly called Sun Polyps. The biggest difference between the two is that Rhizotrochus are solitary in growth form, never forming colonies like a Sun Polyp. They reproduce by budding and some keepers of this coral have reported this happening in captivity.
The Rhizotrochus will send out a root like structure from its skeletal base and attach itself to substrate like live rock. The do very well being tucked into a rock crevice or being placed in the sand. They come in various colors like red, pink, green, yellow and most, commonly, stark white.
Diet
This coral is non-photosynthetic and will require frequent feedings of meaty foods. Feed two or three times a week little bits of silverside, squid or shrimp. May be target fed brine or mysid shrimp using a turkey bastor or pipette."

petjunkie

I feed mine mainly my homemade mix, which is mysis, krill, selcon, pellets, some random frozen fish food, little bit of garlic. But sometimes it gets just a squirtful of mysis or a whole krill. I feed my non photo lps every 2 or 3 days. Just watch out for it's reach, their tentacles are pretty long, especially at night and they've left marks on me due to it's stickiness.

arasa

hey thanks all for the reply,
pet junkie: what marks do you mean?
sorry jtrzerocool and PEZenfuego
I wish i could get a decent camera to take a shot in the dark. Mine comes out at late in the evening and i can barely see the tentacles
Is this a problem, seems clear through.

petjunkie

Welts from it grabbing onto me when I was moving it, you can feel the sting. Turn on the light when it's open and grab a shot, mine opens pretty well during the day but way larger at night.