New RO/DI Question

patandlace

I got a new Airwaterice unit today it's rated for 75 GPD but in the first hour it only put out about a gallon of water. That's about 1/3 of what it should. Is this normal at the begining, or am I doing something wrong? If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. I have it connected with a faucet adapter and have it cranked on all the way.

sign guy

yes the first 100 to 150 gallons will be slow, dont forget to throw all the water away from the first 75 gallons

acrylic51

I would say you only need to discard the first 10-15 gallons of water, and when your doing the intial break in don't run it through the DI filter......There are several things that will dictate water production.....Water temp, water quality going into the unit, water pressure....

patandlace

Thanks for the quick replies. My water temp is very cold(I'm in NH),My tap water tested at 79 ppm and I'm not sure what my water pressure is out of the faucet. I assumed it would filter the water a little slower. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Thanks again.

wilsonreef

Originally Posted by patandlace
Thanks for the quick replies. My water temp is very cold(I'm in NH),My tap water tested at 79 ppm and I'm not sure what my water pressure is out of the faucet. I assumed it would filter the water a little slower. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Thanks again.
There is a device called a RO buddy that mixes cold and hot water together, do a google and see if you can find it. Also what means of connecting your RO unit to the water did you request? I got the one that screws to the faucet, that way I could run hot and cold together to get the desired temperature.

acrylic51

Not suppose to run hot water into the unit...The way to warm the water temp coming in safely would be to loop the incoming water line in a 5 gal bucket or so and fill with water and put a heater and set the heater about 76-78 degrees

larryndana

Seems like i read somewhere to not use hot water. I think you get some metal from the water heater. Maybe someone can chime in with more info, i might be wrong. Then again you are purifing it as well.

wilsonreef

I talked with Walter at airwaterice. ( this guy practicaly designed the typhoon ) he said he didn't condone using hot water but a mix somewhere under 77 degrees would be o.k. BUT, keep in well under 77 degrees. He also said that, as suggested above, the metals etc coming out of the hot water tank would definately be captured in the ro/di unit, and that was not a problem.

tacoma38

instructions on my kent says NO hot water it will damage the membrane...Water temp has been the deal lately everyones been asking about RO s lately and it will be ok just let it flow slow til it warms up.And does anyone read the older treads before they ask ???????NOPE

acrylic51

Originally Posted by wilsonreef
I talked with Walter at airwaterice. ( this guy practicaly designed the typhoon ) he said he didn't condone using hot water but a mix somewhere under 77 degrees would be o.k. BUT, keep in well under 77 degrees. He also said that, as suggested above, the metals etc coming out of the hot water tank would definately be captured in the ro/di unit, and that was not a problem.
Hey Tacoma38.....The advice above came from Walter at AirWaterIce.....he knows his business better then Kent trust me on that one.......