New safety product to keep an eye on...

novahobbies

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...wer_strip.html
A "waterproof" powerstrip? I don't think I want to go testing that claim the way they do in their videos, but for those of us who have power strips inches away from sumps, etc, this might be a serious thing to keep in mind. At $35.00, per strip, it may seem a little pricey....but how much is your peace of mind worth?

yannifish

Hmm, looks interesting, but couldn't most of the possibilities of water coming in contact with the power strip be avoided by mounting the power strip a foot or two above the floor?

novahobbies

I actually keep mine screwed in to the outside of the cabinet, just under the tank itself. But as they say, Snit happens....and this would be just another safety precaution for when it does.

beaslbob

IMHO all power strips and electrical connections should be mounted higher then and away from the water line with drip lines.
my .02

acrylic51

Originally Posted by beaslbob
http:///forum/post/3285433
IMHO all power strips and electrical connections should be mounted higher then and away from the water line with drip lines.
my .02
Agree
but you also have to worry about spray which drip line does nothing for. If that concerned honestly a simply GFCI would work.

cranberry

You can plan to have your power bar up and out of the way... but this is for "when snit happens". Cause no one plans for... say... an earthquake to move your sump so that there is now a spray being produce that gets to the outlet and cause a fire... that woke me up at 3am.

novahobbies

Exactly. I would never say this should be used in place of good common sense practices, but rather "in addition to."
Cranberry, that sounds like a heck of a scary thing to wake up to. Glad you got it taken care of.
On a related note, how many of use have fire extinguishers near or within easy reach of their tanks? I don't - but I'm going out to get one this week, thanks to that reminder.