new salt pond

ks350

i am going to build an indoor marine pond for a shark.im gonna put a black tip reef shark in there.i live in florida so all i have to do is go to the beach and catch one i need some info on the filteration , water specs,heater what ever would help the pond will be 16feetx4x4 estimated 1800 gallons

fishy411

well I can tell you that that will not be good for very long. U would be better off with a Smoothound, Epaulette,Horn or any of the smaller sharks.

denny80688

Im no expert but from what I have read on here an adult black tip needs somewhere around 9,000-10,000 gallons... I say just make your pond a little bigger :D

gasguzzler

They are all correct- 10K gallons minimum. Just because the animal is accessable doesnt mean its a good idea.:D

mattiej

I have posted this before but will say it again, Atlantic blacktip sharks just do not do well in captivity especially for inexperienced keepers. I agree with the idea that just because they are avilable they should not be kept. Even public aquariums with tens of thousands of gallons have problems with getting BT to acclimate to captive life. Follow Gas' advice and leave them in the ocean.