New Salt Water System

2naboat

Hello Y'all. First off let me say hello to everyone. I am a newbie to these forums. Well, ever since I was a kid I always wanted to get a salt water aquarium setup. Now that I have the money I was wondering how much could I expect to spend on lets say around 120 gallon aquarium complete with stand, pump, etc. Basically everything but the fish. I just don't want to get taken to the cleaners when I step into a shop checkbook in hand. Also, if anyone knows any good places in the Inland Empire region of Southern California. Pretty close to Los Angeles and Orange Counties as well. Thanks for any help you can provide and I look forward to what seems like a cool hobby.

shannpeach

Prepare yourself because it is pretty darn expensive. We have a 44 gallon reef tank and a 10 gallon fish only tank. The reef tanks tend to be more expensive. To give you a low ball estimate on how much we've spent....about 1,000 for everything including the live rock, live sand, filter, heater, protein skimmer, lighting for reef system, powerhead..... But I think alot of it depends on where you are geographically. We are in Wisconsin so maybe that makes things a little more expensive. IDK.

buzzword

Hi 2naBoat, to just give you an example. I just set up a 120g and I spent about $3000! I didn't skimp on anything though. I got stand and custom canopy. Am waiting on my 2x250w Metal Halide lights and I have 4x65w pc's to supplement the MH. My tank has dual overflows plumbed to a 30g sump/refugium, powered by a Sequence Dart pump, which kicks ass. I am getting 2400gphr. ASM skimmer. Titanium heater. 95# aragonite reef sand, 100# LR. No to mention all the little things like salt, refractometer, test kits, RO/DI unit (found a 100gpday cheap online), books, etc. Research for everything and all your questions here before you go out and spend your hard earned money! HTH

acrylic51

Again Welcome to the boards!!!! It can be expensive, but the love of the hobby outweighs it!!!! I'm still in the process of finishing my dedicated fishroom to house my new 240 baby, and just in the room alone I'm probably in $2500, and doing the work myself, so it can get expensive, but just remember to ask lots of questions. Question things several times before making a purchase!!!! There of course are ways of saving a buck or 2 and you'll learn being around this site!!!

lion_crazz

You can definitely expect to pay quite a bundle for a saltwater aquarium. On my 75 gallon fish tank, I have spent about $2000 so far, and that is just a fish tank with live rock and invertebrates. I have my tank with everything that you need for a reef with the exception of a good lighting system. For a 120, like stated, you can expect to pay at least $3000 to as much as a possible $5000, depending upon how much extra you put into it and how much your area charges for things.
However, don't let these high amounts cause you to get a smaller tank if you are looking to keep fish. A 120 is around the smallest tank you will want to invest in if you want to keep fish. I have had my tank set-up for a little over a year and a half and I already am planning to upgrade my set-up to a 210 gallon tank or larger in about a year or so because my fish are growing larger and larger.
Good luck with your decision and post any questions you may have!

hughes07

christmas and birthdays help alot out with saltwater setups. i remember i received my 38 gallon for christmas with everything i THOUGHT i needed. LFS confuse me. they either influence u to buy to much or to buy to little. i got the tank, stand, hood with the light, heater, this ugly white rock, and filter as a package. i forget the amount but i wish i would have gotten a powerhead or two and a better light. but it works for me.

2naboat

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely will do my homework before buying. I'm prabably going to buy in bits and pieces to make sure I get exactly what I want instead of trying to stretch out the money I have now. I will keep you informed and post pics as my system progresses. Thanks everyone.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by 2naBoat
I definitely will do my homework before buying. I'm prabably going to buy in bits and pieces to make sure I get exactly what I want instead of trying to stretch out the money I have now.

Both very smart ideas!! Good luck with your future tank.

startrfish

your type of aquarium. If you are a first timer, maybe you should start with a fish only setup like I did when i started out. It's the least expensive and gives you a little experience in the hobby. Then maybe move to a reef tank which is what i want to do now. Only the cost will be greater
hope this helps
chris