New saltwater hobbyist

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3457012
Okay I'm going to respond to this just because I want you to know why gave all that information. This nice person set up a tank and used fish to start cycle putting those fish through pain and suffering. Maybe if someone were gave her the information on how to do a fishless cycle they would not be fish suffering right now. You say that I give too much information I say you don't get enough. I'm really happy that you didn't have a green algae outbreak you are lucky but if you did and you knew how to deal with it maybe you wouldn't spend $100 trying to fix that problem. Yes she will have a Brown algae outbreak everyone does and I may have saved her time and money dealing with it. Also I probably saved people on this board time on writing her let her know how to fix it. But that probably wouldn't have bothered you since it seems like you would just tell her to do a water change and everything would be fine. Sorry for my grammar before I usually pay attention when I'm writing but I was in a business meeting on the phone and really wasn't looking at what I was doing. Flower I'm not mad at you for writing which you wrote I should check my grammar and make sure it made sense. But let me tell you something you are no expert I see what you write maybe if you should think before you give people advice because some a time it's flawed. If you look at the future it won't bite you in the butt when it arrives.
X0X0
Jon
I'm very relieved you aren't mad. It's very hard to try and give unsolicited advice, and fix a post and not come off like a creep. I know I make mistakes, we all do. We just want to be able to read your posts without getting a headache. Slice told you first and you didn't pay attention.
Also I know I must have hit a nerve when I said too much information. I can honsetly tell you 99% of what you had to say will not be remembered because at the moment the information isn't needed. So loading a post with what might be in the future did absolutly no good for anyone. The thing is..... you offered misinformation mixed in with the overkill.
The green hair algae cycle does not exist. Maybe for those who use tap water, but for the majority it is not something to be concerned about except to be told not to use tap water. The original poster purchased the fish before joining the site....so I'm making scrambled eggs out of the already broken eggs by explaining a soft cycle. You wasted so much effort explaining using a raw shrimp and how that cycles. The OP was already beyond that point.
If you are in a business meeting, you have no business on the internet and not paying attention to what is going on at the meeting...I would fire you on the spot. Nor would I accept any excuse about how good you are at multi-tasking...teens driving and texting comes to mind. I understand being at work and having extra time to peek at the site on company time, but in the middle of a meeting ????
Looks like we bump heads on the cycle thing...sorry. JMO

fixpc

Yes some algae are very beneficial this algae is called Coraline Algae.Coraline comes in many colors the difference is the algae is made out of calcium just like coral. Coraline can make your live rocks beautiful by adding color to them,it also competes with nuisance algae. When your tank is established sometimes Coraline can be a pain it can stick your glass and to your equipment, it's rockhard and needs a little elbow grease to remove. I'll stop here don't want to get too ahead and talk about any other algae wink wink :)

xcali1985

LOL! Let me help you out there buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3457012
Okay I'm going to respond to this just because I want you to know why I gave all that information.
This nice person set up a tank and used fish to start cycle putting those fish through pain and suffering. Maybe if someone were gave her the information on how to do a fish-less cycle [strike]they there would not be fish suffering right now. You say that I give too much information, I say you don't [strike]get give enough.
I'm really happy that you didn't have a green algae outbreak, you are lucky, but if you did and you knew how to deal with it maybe you wouldn't spend $100 trying to fix that problem. Yes, she will have a Brown algae outbreak, everyone does and I may have saved her time and money dealing with it.
Also, I probably saved people on this board time [strike]on by writing here to let her know how to fix it. But that probably wouldn't have bothered you since it seems like you would just tell her to do a water change and everything would be fine.
Sorry for my grammar before, I usually pay attention when I'm writing but I was in a business meeting on the phone and really wasn't looking at what I was doing.
Flower I'm not mad at you for writing which you wrote, I should check my grammar and make sure it [strike]made makes sense. But, let me tell you something you are no expert, I have seen see[/strike] what you write[/strike] have written, maybe if[/strike] you should think before you give people advice, because some a time[/strike] sometimes it's flawed. If you look at the future it won't bite you in the butt when it arrives.
X0X0
Jon
Not trying to be rude, but the way you are typing your comments does make it hard for people to read.
I think what Flower was basically stating was that you cannot bunch all that information up into one large paragraph, you have to split up points.
It is especially hard to read when the grammar isn't correct. Feel free to knock any of my previous posts if you want, it's simply constructive criticism. BTW, we are all flawed in some way.

xandrew245x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457116
I'm very relieved you aren't mad. It's very hard to try and give unsolicited advice, and fix a post and not come off like a creep. I know I make mistakes, we all do. We just want to be able to read your posts without getting a headache. Slice told you first and you didn't pay attention.
Also I know I must have hit a nerve when I said too much information. I can honsetly tell you 99% of what you had to say will not be remembered because at the moment the information isn't needed. So loading a post with what might be in the future did absolutly no good for anyone. The thing is..... you offered misinformation mixed in with the overkill.
The green hair algae cycle does not exist. Maybe for those who use tap water, but for the majority it is not something to be concerned about except to be told not to use tap water. The original poster purchased the fish before joining the site....so I'm making scrambled eggs out of the already broken eggs by explaining a soft cycle. You wasted so much effort explaining using a raw shrimp and how that cycles. The OP was already beyond that point.
If you are in a business meeting, you have no business on the internet and not paying attention to what is going on at the meeting...I would fire you on the spot. Nor would I accept any excuse about how good you are at multi-tasking...teens driving and texting comes to mind. I understand being at work and having extra time to peek at the site on company time, but in the middle of a meeting ????
Looks like we bump heads on the cycle thing...sorry. JMO
Creep..... :p

xandrew245x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457120
LOL! Let me help you out there buddy!
Not trying to be rude, but the way you are typing your comments does make it hard for people to read.
I think what Flower was basically stating was that you cannot bunch all that information up into one large paragraph, you have to split up points.
It is especially hard to read when the grammar isn't correct. Feel free to knock any of my previous posts if you want, it's simply constructive criticism. BTW, we are all flawed in some way.
I have a feeling this one is going to strike a nerve...

fixpc

Flower. You don't know what I do so don't comment on my job by the amount of posting you do here you must be a entrepreneur and work for yourself or you could be one of those lazy stay home people I don't really you so won't comment. What misinformation did I give her? Or Was it is your opinion that it was misinformation. Your good at giving your opinion. I worked on many people's tanks and used reverse osmosis filters and they still got green algae. I'm not on this website to fight with you just to help. By the way that meeting was on my time and I was helping someone else out all he wanted me to do was listen in and asked me a question when he needed a technical answer to a question.

fixpc

I use a program called Dragon dictate it does a good job but not perfect. You see I need to use it because I lost all the use of my hands. This program will sometimes break words up if I pause. Like some times instead of sometimes. It also can't tell the difference between their and there. But thank you for editing my messages and correcting them. I'm here to help and that's all I will be the bigger person and stop it here.

xandrew245x

Honestly, flower was pretty kind in the way she worded everything, and your post was just rude and degrading, you don't know her. If you think she is a bad person for saying what she did, why are you being equally bad by replying with a derogetory post. All she was doing was trying to help you, and you took it all the wrong way.

mweezy2011

LoL my thread on me being new and needing help has turned into a puctuation and grammer check thread :p. Anyways no some of my base rock has green slimy looking algae growing on it. Not corline (which is purple correct?) I did not do a water change today flower b/c everything seems alright. But is this algae "Good"? or "Acceptable"?

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweezy2011 http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457136
LoL my thread on me being new and needing help has turned into a puctuation and grammer check thread :p. Anyways no some of my base rock has green slimy looking algae growing on it. Not corline (which is purple correct?) I did not do a water change today flower b/c everything seems alright. But is this algae "Good"? or "Acceptable"?
I would lean on the side of bad algae. Most soft algae is bad. I almost want to say any algae that you personally don't put in your tank is bad. I had this slimy algae when I started my 80G it was because I went against the advice of a lot of people and used tap water.
Does it have bubbles in it?
Does it blow off easily?
Can it be pulled out?
Do you have a picture of it?

fixpc

That's hair algae it is the algae I was talking about before when I said you may get this. A clean up crew with snails should take care of it, if there's is a lot you may have to scrub it off with a toothbrush. I feel a little vindicated now yeah woo hoo.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457123
Flower. You don't know what I do so don't comment on my job by the amount of posting you do here you must be a entrepreneur and work for yourself or you could be one of those lazy stay home people I don't really you so won't comment. What misinformation did I give her? Or Was it is your opinion that it was misinformation. Your good at giving your opinion. I worked on many people's tanks and used reverse osmosis filters and they still got green algae. I'm not on this website to fight with you just to help. By the way that meeting was on my time and I was helping someone else out all he wanted me to do was listen in and asked me a question when he needed a technical answer to a question.
Yep, I'm a lazy stay at home now, after working on the railroad for over 35 years. Now I'm disabled with arthritis, and can hardly walk or use my hands in a twisting motion. If you are asked to sit in and help a friend...you owe that friend the courtesy to pay attention to the meeting. If you were not paying any more attention to his needs as you were your post...both suffered.
Below I dissected your post to show you what it looked like to me. The result of not paying attention, I believe completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456933
There are different stages to the cycle process, the nitrogen cycle is just one step in the cycle you're doing a soft cycle which consists of doing frequent water changes to get your ammonia down this is not an easy way of cycling but once see some
Nitrate in your tank and no ammonia and no nitrite you cycle is complete for the amount of livestock you have in your tank right now. OPs cycle is not complete for what is in the tank right now. Mostly it is the WAY you wrote it that sounds that way...the result of giving advice and not paying attention.
Every time you add something to the tank will go through small cycle because the livestock will produce little more ammonia in your tank than the old livestock was doing. That's why you should add livestock slowly. This information is correct
There is also another cycle that people talk about most people concerned with the nitrogen cycle right after nitrogen cycle completes the going to see an outbreak of algae. The first will see a Brown Algae or Golden Diatom Algae is a harmless algae that will go away in time a lot of people panic and by hundreds of snails to eat it. The best thing to do is let it ride out you can help it along by putting a phosphorus removing pad the phosphorus removing pad will also remove silica, silica is the building block for this Brown algae. This is correct information ... hard to read the run on sentences and make sense of it, but correct.
You also can put some snails in not too fixed the problem but to help a little I promise you will go away on its own once it has no more silica to consume it will go away. Correct.
Your local fish store will make you spend hundreds of dollars to get rid of this algae and they know it'll go away on its own be smart save you money. Well that all depends on the LFS doesn't it?
Here is my main beef with your post...you mentioned a brown algae cycle and now you go into this dribble.....After Brown comes green, green algae can come in many forms but the one you see the most is hair algae algae can get out of control if you're not careful but the cycle the green algae will show up as long as you do basic maintenance on the tank....again not paying attention, you didn't say it won't unless..you say it WILL show up no matter what. There is no green algae cycle. All tanks have algae, it's normal and it isn't a temporary thing. We use snails, lawnmower blennies and if the tank can handle it, a tang or dwarf angel all eat green algae...it's part of their diet...it's free food!
it'll go away in time. The green algae needs light, phosphate and nitrate to survive. Best way to remove the phosphate is the phosphate pads that have the tank already to help with the Brown algae also if you put in another form of plant in your sump like microalgae or mangrove plants it will consume the nitrate and phosphorus that the algae needs. A nibble of truth without explaining how the phosphate and nitrates are removed...here you could have offered some real advice on the good a refugium would do.
The worst thing you can do is throw chemicals in to kill the algae.....Well that's true, but NOBODY doing saltwater tanks uses any chemicals to remove algae...it won't come back, it will kill the tank. Such chemicals are made for freshwater..... again a wasted oppertunity to explain the algae is normal and all tanks have it and it's needed. it will just come back and probably worse because the dead algae will mess up your water to make it better algae growth. Don't get discouraged this happens to everyone UMMM, no....sorry, it dooes not. the cleaning crew consisting of snails will help out a lot.
Now here is the real gem of misinformation at it's height....Your job will be to make sure the water is free of phosphorus and nitrates scrape the walls of your tank and pull the big pieces algae off the rocks in time it'll settle down and you tank look beautiful. Every going to get coral for your tank please resist until the algae cycle stops or slows down
a lot easier to clean rocks in your tank if there is no coral hanging off of it LOL. Seriously??? You go around helping people with their tanks, and prepare them for algae that will hang off the rocks...wait for it before getting coral because you can pick it off easier...really???? If MY JOB was to pluck hair algae off the rock and scrape the walls to make it beautiful...I would not ever get a saltwater tank.
#000000">There's a lot of things you can bring the tank now that'll make it cool to watch. During the algae cycle I would recommend only putting in some really small fish some shrimp and crabs snails. (I can already here OPs question...What is a crab snail?) One more thing a dead fish in your tank can be disastrous one rule I live by the don't see the fish it's dead and you need to get it out as soon as you can a dead fish will destroy your tank it will decay and cause an enormous ammonia spike that ammonia spike can kill more fish and snails and that will cause an even bigger ammonia spike within days the whole tank could be completely dead so I'm buying fish at this point make sure the fish aren't the kind of fish that like to hide. again..seriously...all new fish hide..so OP should tear the tank apart and look for the dead thing if he doen't see his new fish. Not to mention this sage advice... don't get any fish that naturally hides, no gobies for newbees...

mweezy2011

it just looks like green slime Xcali its just starting not n excess growth like that. So i can buy a few hermit crabs and snails now? lol my brain is running in circles

fixpc

I guess I will be the bigger man and end this.I know arthritis can be Very painful especially in older people good luck. Just one thing just because a chemical is using freshwater doesn't mean someone would not use it in freshwater. I gave very sound advice to help also most of it was to encourage her not to get discouraged. I will continue to give advice when needed and I know you will do the same see you soon.
John

fixpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweezy2011 http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457174
it just looks like green slime Xcali its just starting not n excess growth like that. So i can buy a few hermit crabs and snails now? lol my brain is running in circles
I would wait a little longer to make sure your tank is completely cycled then you can throw some snails in, hold off on the hermit crabs for now

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweezy2011 http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457174
That is a form of cyano bacteria, it is normally caused by excess nutrients, light, and low flow.
Research Blue-Green Algae
Step 1: Siphon as much of it out as you can, out of the tank.
Step 2: Increase Flow
Step 3: Decrease the light cycle
Step 4: Locate and Reduce Nutrients
Step 5: Slowly Increase light cycle
Emergency situation: Use a chemical made to remove this, however, this is just a temp fix and if Issues 2 and 4 aren't addressed it will return. A chemical that will remove it is a Red Slime Remover as they are of the same make up.
Assessment: I would say that you probably have a dead area in your tank that is allowing nutrients to settle and is feeding it. I have removed it in the past with a turkey baster, adding a powerhead and a boost in my clean up crew.
NO MORE LIVESTOCK UNTIL THE TANK HAS CYCLED! INVERTS ARE EXTREMELY SENSITIVE!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/40#post_3457178
I guess I will be the bigger man and end this.I know arthritis can be Very painful especially in older people good luck. Just one thing just because a chemical is using freshwater doesn't mean someone would not use it in freshwater. I gave very sound advice to help also most of it was to encourage her not to get discouraged. I will continue to give advice when needed and I know you will do the same see you soon.
John
LOL...the older I get, the younger the term older should be used for. YAY, you have good tough skin and I didn't chase you away! I know you mean well when you give advice...I have been corrected many times on things I thought and believed. This site is awesome for learning, no matter how advanced one thinks they are. I'm sorry we bumped heads, and I hope we don't again for a long...long time.
Deborah
Originally Posted by mweezy2011

Sorry...sometimes I get distracted.
If tests show no problems and the fish are not stressed...great. No need to do a water change until it's needed. Just have it on hand just in case. The reason for the slime is because it's base rock. While the tank cycles keep the lights off, there is no need for it right now, and the algae likes it. Later after the tank cycles the first time, a CUC of snails, serpent stars and if you want them.... hermit crabs (snail eating, shell stealing bad little buggers they be) they will make short work of the algae. don't be concerned with the algae dying and messing up the tank...all decay is good decay during the cycle. Just keep doing your tests, and a water changes as needed.
Maybe put the lights one for 1 hour for the fish to eat, they actually like the dark tank and are happier without light. The light is for us...that does not include corals.
Oh and just so you know...Coraline comes in many colors. I have pink, orange, blue, purple, green and a little yellow. In my tank the orange glows under the moonlights and turns velvet red after time passes. The yellow turns to green, the pink and blue becomes purple. Most of the coraline in my tank is red. My tank is over three years old, coraline grows slow and once it finally gets there..it's everywhere... including the walls of the tank. There is a gadget called a mag-float it works like an eraser. It is two magnets, and one goes inside the tank, while the one outside becomes the holder.... and you "erase" the algae as it grows on the glass. Keeping it off the glass is easy, just don't allow it to become crusty...the sides of my tank will never be clear again.