New saltwater hobbyist

mweezy2011

Well this is my new hobby :) and i really enjoy it ive wanted to do it for so long. and again thank you for your advice Flower! i will keep a close eye on it and do daily water changes. How long am i looking at for a my tank to fully cycle? 2 weeks or a 2 months..? Rough estimate so to say?

fixpc

There are different stages to the cycle process, the nitrogen cycle is just one step in the cycle you're doing a soft cycle which consists of doing frequent water changes to get your ammonia down this is not an easy way of cycling but once see some Nitrate in your tank and no ammonia and no nitrite you cycle is complete for the amount of livestock you have in your tank right now.
Every time you add something to the tank will go through small cycle because the livestock will produce little more ammonia in your tank than the old livestock was doing. That's why you should add livestock slowly.
There is also another cycle that people talk about, most people concerned with the nitrogen cycle right after nitrogen cycle completes the going to see an outbreak of algae. The first will see a Brown Algae or Golden Diatom Algae. It is a harmless algae that will go away in time, a lot of people panic and by hundreds of snails to eat it. The best thing to do is let it ride out you can help it along by putting a phosphorus removing pad, the phosphorus removing pad will also remove silica, silica is the building block for this Brown algae. You also can put some snails in not too fix the problem but to help a little. I promise you it will go away on its own once it has no more silica to consume. Your local fish store will make you spend hundreds of dollars to get rid of this algae and they know it'll go away on its own, be smart, save your money.
After Brown comes green, green algae can come in many forms but the one you see the most is hair algae algae It can get out of control if you're not careful. The cycle of
the green algae will show up, as long as you do basic maintenance on the tank, it'll go away in time.
The green algae needs light, phosphate and nitrate to survive. Best way to remove the phosphate is the phosphate pads that have the tank already to help with the Brown algae, also if you put in another form of plant in your sump like microalgae or mangrove plants it will consume the nitrate and phosphorus that the algae needs.
The worst thing you can do is throw chemicals in to kill the algae it will just come back, and probably worse because the dead algae will mess up your water to make it better for algae growth. Don't get discouraged, this happens to everyone, the cleaning crew consisting of snails will help out a lot.
Your job will be to make sure the water is free of phosphorus and nitrates. Scrape the walls of your tank and pull the big pieces of algae off the rocks, in time it'll settle down and you tank look beautiful.
If you ever are going to get coral for your tank, please resist until the algae cycle stops or slows down. It's a lot easier to clean rocks in your tank if there is no coral hanging off of it. LOL.
There's a lot of things you can place in the tank now, that'll make it cool to watch. During the algae cycle I would recommend only putting in some really small fish, some shrimp, crabs, and snails.
One more thing, a dead fish in your tank can be disastrous. One rule I live by, if you don't see the fish, it's dead.You need to get it out as soon as you can. A dead fish will destroy your tank, it will decay and cause an enormous ammonia spike. That ammonia spike can kill more fish and snails, and that will cause an even bigger ammonia spike. Within days the whole tank could be completely dead. So if you are buying a fish at this point, make sure the fish aren't the kind of fish that like to hide.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixpc http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456933
There are different stages to the cycle process, the nitrogen cycle is just one step in the cycle you're doing a soft cycle which consists of doing frequent water changes to get your ammonia down this is not an easy way of cycling but once see some
Nitrate in your tank and no ammonia and no nitrite you cycle is complete for the amount of livestock you have in your tank right now.
Every time you add something to the tank will go through small cycle because the livestock will produce little more ammonia in your tank than the old livestock was doing. That's why you should add livestock slowly.
There is also another cycle that people talk about, most people concerned with the nitrogen cycle right after nitrogen cycle completes the going to see an outbreak of algae. The first will see a Brown Algae or Golden Diatom Algae. It is a harmless algae that will go away in time, a lot of people panic and by hundreds of snails to eat it. The best thing to do is let it ride out you can help it along by putting a phosphorus removing pad, the phosphorus removing pad will also remove silica, silica is the building block for this Brown algae. You also can put some snails in not too fix[strike]ed the problem but to help a little. I promise you it will go away on its own once it has no more silica to consume[strike] it will go away[/strike]. Your local fish store will make you spend hundreds of dollars to get rid of this algae and they know it'll go away on its own, be smart, save your money.
After Brown comes green, green algae can come in many forms but the one you see the most is hair algae algae It can get out of control if you're not careful. but[/strike] The cycle of the green algae will show up, as long as you do basic maintenance on the tank, it'll go away in time.
The green algae needs light, phosphate and nitrate to survive. Best way to remove the phosphate is the phosphate pads that have the tank already to help with the Brown algae, also if you put in another form of plant in your sump like microalgae or mangrove plants it will consume the nitrate and phosphorus that the algae needs.
The worst thing you can do is throw chemicals in to kill the algae it will just come back, and probably worse because the dead algae will mess up your water to make it better for algae growth. Don't get discouraged, this happens to everyone, the cleaning crew consisting of snails will help out a lot.
>
Your job will be to make sure the water is free of phosphorus and nitrates. Scrape the walls of your tank and pull the big pieces of algae off the rocks, in time it'll settle down and you tank look beautiful.
[strike]Every If you ever are going to get coral for your tank, please resist until the algae cycle stops or slows down. It's a lot easier to clean rocks in your tank if there is no coral hanging off of it. LOL.
There's a lot of things you can [strike]bring place in the tank now, that'll make it cool to watch. During the algae cycle I would recommend only putting in some really small fish, some shrimp, [strike]and crabs, and snails.
One more thing, a dead fish in your tank can be disastrous. One rule I live by, if you the[/strike] don't see the fish, it's dead. and[/strike] You need to get it out as soon as you can. A dead fish will destroy your tank, it will decay and cause an enormous ammonia spike. That ammonia spike can kill more fish and snails, and that will cause an even bigger ammonia spike. Within days the whole tank could be completely dead. So I'm[/strike] if you are buying a fish at this point, make sure the fish aren't the kind of fish that like to hide.
Hi,
Please, please, don't get mad at me for saying this. I know you want to help and be taken seriously.
There is just so much information a person can absorb at any given time. You can't dump 6 months worth of information on somebody who is just getting a grasp of what a nitrogen cycle is. Not to mention I personally never had a "cycle of green algae". Hair algae is not the most common form of such a "cycle". If a two year old asked you where they came from, would you dump the entire cycle of life from conception to death on them, with the details of the worms working in the dead body? That's sort of what you did.
I am not the grammer police, spelling police or any other mean spirited person insisting on perfect sentences. HOWEVER....the run on sentences you use, and the one huge paragraph makes for very difficult reading. Then add on the small mistakes we all make (that I crossed off for you in my "fix") and you have an unreadable mess. If you want folks to read what you write, you have to at least split the paragraphs so we won't develope a headache. I think Slice already told you about that.
The way to split the paragraph is to start a new one with each new thought. So as soon as you make your point on one thing, and move to the next....begin another paragraph.
The way to prevent run on sentences is to reread what you wrote outloud. When you take a breath, a comma goes there. When a short point, or question is made, a period or question mark goes there. When you begin the new sentence, a capital letter is attached to the first word of the sentence.
I'm not even sure I have it correct, but it's the way I always write. I have not had a complaint yet. This is the only "English lesson" I plan to give EVER..... I feel really bad for doing it this time, but I felt I had to say something.

xandrew245x

Hi,
Please, please, don't get mad at me for saying this. I know you want to help and be taken seriously.
There is just so much information a person can absorb at any given time. You can't dump 6 months worth of information on somebody who is just getting a grasp of what a nitrogen cycle is. Not to mention I personally never had a "cycle of green algae". Hair algae is not the most common form of such a "cycle". If a two year old asked you where they came from, would you dump the entire cycle of life from conception to death on them, with the details of the worms working in the dead body? That's sort of what you did.
I am not the grammer police, spelling police or any other mean spirited person insisting on perfect sentences. HOWEVER....the run on sentences you use, and the one huge paragraph makes for very difficult reading. Then add on the small mistakes we all make (that I crossed off for you in my "fix") and you have an unreadable mess. If you want folks to read what you write, you have to at least split the paragraphs so we won't develope a headache. I think Slice already told you about that.
The way to split the paragraph is to start a new one with each new thought. So as soon as you make your point on one thing, and move to the next....begin another paragraph.
The way to prevent run on sentences is to reread what you wrote outloud. When you take a breath, a comma goes there. When a short point, or question is made, a period or question mark goes there. When you begin the new sentence, a capital letter is attached to the first word of the sentence.

I'm not even sure I have it correct, but it's the way I always write. I have not had a complaint yet. This is the only "English lesson" I plan to give EVER..... I feel really bad for doing it this time, but I felt I had to say something.
OUCH....but flowers right, I couldn't even read your post because it was so long... just shorten it up and break it off into paragraphs, it makes it 10 times easier for someone to read and follow along.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456949
OUCH....but flowers right, I couldn't even read your post because it was so long... just shorten it up and break it off into paragraphs, it makes it 10 times easier for someone to read and follow along.
Fixpc, please don't get upset...I really am not trying to hurt your feelings....I'm trying to help you. I'm soooo sorry if it hurt your feelings.

xandrew245x

I don't think he will be upset flower, it was just some friendly advice, proper paragraphing and puncuation really makes a difference, I try to use it correctly, I misspell words a lot, I rely on auto correct to often ;P

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456960
I don't think he will be upset flower, it was just some friendly advice, proper paragraphing and puncuation really makes a difference, I try to use it correctly, I misspell words a lot, I rely on auto correct to often ;P
LOL...
I keep Microsoft word up, and test any words I'm not sure of, I'm a terrible speller. However since I started posting, my spelling has gotten much better. I check and most words are correct now.
I don't want Fixpc to be afraid to post thinking we are prudes. We all make mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and proper sentences. We just need it to be readable, and since I was "fixing" I fixed it all, well according to my limited ability anyway.

xandrew245x

Lol, I usually got to google and type the word in and let it pop up with the right spelling, there is just some words that I don't even realize I'm spelling wrong lol.
Don't be afraid to post Fix, I have read some of your information on other posts, and you seem pretty knowledgeable, just found out apparently with this browser update...I have spell check on here! Yes!! But anyways just try to keep your post broken up into easily readable paragraphs!

flower

Now that we have sufficiently highjacked mweezy2011's thread....back to the grind.
Have you done any water tests today? Are you planning to return the fish, or go for the soft cycle method?

xandrew245x

Now that we have sufficiently highjacked mweezy2011's thread....back to the grind.
Have you done any water tests today? Are you planning to return the fish, or go for the soft cycle method?
Haha, actually forgot who's post this was!
I would test your ammonia and nitrite every other day, and keep doing small water changes to keep them down, If you keep and eye on them, you could probably wait until the ammonia starts going up to change the water vs. doing it every day.
It could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for your cycle. I'm on my 5th week, going to check my water today, and really hope my ammonia is gone!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456985
Haha, actually forgot who's post this was!
I would test your ammonia and nitrite every other day, and keep doing small water changes to keep them down, If you keep and eye on them, you could probably wait until the ammonia starts going up to change the water vs. doing it every day.
It could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for your cycle. I'm on my 5th week, going to check my water today, and really hope my ammonia is gone!
No I say test everyday and watch for stress. I do agree to not do the water change until you see the ammonia or nitrites showing up on the tests. Time wise I have no idea, I have never used a live fish in a saltwater tank for a cycle.

xandrew245x

Learned something new, I read elsewhere to just check every other day and change your water when you start getting a slight amount of ammonia, but testing everyday and changing everyday doesn't hurt!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390377/new-saltwater-hobbyist/20#post_3456991
Learned something new, I read elsewhere to just check every other day and change your water when you start getting a slight amount of ammonia, but testing everyday and changing everyday doesn't hurt!
I wouldn't want to change the water everyday..it has to be allowed to cycle. However trying to keep fish alive while you cycle is no easy task. .025 is enough ammonia for the cycle to run it's course, and yet not enough to kill or stress the fish too much...The problem is that .025 begins to climb fast, so as soon as you see the spike..change the water.
To be honest, this is what I do when I start a new tank. I toss in a raw shrimp and forget about for at least a week. I don't even test for anything else until ammonia goes to 0. Then I only test for nitrites and ammonia once a week. When they go to 0 I test for all three, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, if it all comes out right on the tests...I wait another week just to be sure. Some leave it but I do a water change, and then add some of that cycle tank starter along with my first critter.
I know about the soft cycle because that was the correct method back in the day when I did freshwater tanks, I never lost my fish. The secret of a healthy beautiful tank, fresh or saltwater is to never overstock and take your time....slow is the best way to go.

fixpc

Okay I'm going to respond to this just because I want you to know why gave all that information. This nice person set up a tank and used fish to start cycle putting those fish through pain and suffering. Maybe if someone were gave her the information on how to do a fishless cycle they would not be fish suffering right now. You say that I give too much information I say you don't get enough. I'm really happy that you didn't have a green algae outbreak you are lucky but if you did and you knew how to deal with it maybe you wouldn't spend $100 trying to fix that problem. Yes she will have a Brown algae outbreak everyone does and I may have saved her time and money dealing with it. Also I probably saved people on this board time on writing her let her know how to fix it. But that probably wouldn't have bothered you since it seems like you would just tell her to do a water change and everything would be fine. Sorry for my grammar before I usually pay attention when I'm writing but I was in a business meeting on the phone and really wasn't looking at what I was doing. Flower I'm not mad at you for writing which you wrote I should check my grammar and make sure it made sense. But let me tell you something you are no expert I see what you write maybe if you should think before you give people advice because some a time it's flawed. If you look at the future it won't bite you in the butt when it arrives.
X0X0
Jon

mweezy2011

Haha wow thanks for ruining my thread guys :p j/k.
I got home last night and tested and everything was great i even went and baught an alk test last night. Alkalinity ended up being 1.6-1.7 hard to tell b/c of color. Ammonia was at zero :) woot woot!
I just woke up for the day so i am going to test the water and then do my daily water change Flower. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

mweezy2011

Ammonia 0 ppm (may be a little higher not exact same color but its not .25 ppm yet)
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
PH 7.8
Calcium 500 ppm
Phosphate 2.0 ppm
Carbonate Hardness 143.2 ppm
Alkalinity 2.9 (high i did the previous test incorrectly sorry)
Salinity 1.021
What do ya think Flower? change or not to change?

mweezy2011

Answer your question flower is I'm planning on the soft cycle method now haha, I got so lost in all the threads u guys highjacked

xandrew245x

I wouldn't change your water yet, everything is still 0. Also save some money, only test your ammonia and nitrites for now. Your tank looks good btw, and to fix, not everyone has a brown algae outbreak, I didn't!

mweezy2011

thanks and alright ammonia and nitrites got it! i hope i don't get brown algae haha. Some of my rocks are already getting green algae on them is that good or bad?