New saltwater tank?

cori

I have had freshwater fish tanks for a few years, and I have always wanted a saltwater set up, but I live in a small town..in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin, and the one pet store we have, has informed me repeatedly that saltwater aquariums are insanely time consuming and difficult to maintain. (not to mention expensive)
Is it really that difficult? I'll admit, I have done some reading about maintaining water quality...and it does seem a bit daunting, to someone who has no experience in this area.

fishy7

Hi Cori and Welcome.

I have been in your position for quite some time. I have had many freshwater but NO saltwater. Fresh can bring you only so far and then, for me, the next step has to be salt.
Level of difficulty is really based on your knowledge and how comforatble you are with taking on salt.
Your best friend should be this web site!

oh and READ READ READ READ..... I have learned so much from just reading all the different posts.
I picked up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. Great reading and this book sealed the deal for me.... :joy:
Good luck!

jmick

Opinions on this will most likely vary. For the first 2-3 years I had my tank it was rather difficult to maintain and was time consuming. I had a hard time maintaining my water quality and I had issues with nutrients that caused algae blooms. Thanks to boards like this and the one that Fenner runs I’ve really increased my knowledge over the past 2 years and my tank requires little work (all I have to do most days is add top off water, check collections cup on skimmer and feed). I’ll list a few things you can do which will make life easier if you want to move to marine tanks.
First, keep your bio load down; don’t over stock your tank.
Second, invest in a quality skimmer.
Third, avoid crushed coral substrate and use fine sand instead.
Fourth, invest in lots of live rock.
Fifth, avoid nano tank or smaller systems, having more water volume is a good thing.
Sixth, if you have the space employ a refugium (again, bigger is better).
Seventh, know the needs of the animals you plan on buying and don’t buy something if you don’t know what they require.
Eighth, this is the big one, be patient and don’t rush things along.
There is a lot more to it then what I listed so do research and have a plan before you begin.

J

jdragunas

well i completely disagree, i've had my 55g saltwater tank for about 11 months now, and here's my maintenance schedule:
Daily: Feed the fish (5 min.)
Top off water if needed (>5 min.)
Check collection cup on skimmer (>1 min)
Watch my fish, and goggle over how incredibly cute they are (1-3 hours)
Weekly: Change my activated carbon filter (10 min.)
Bi-weekly: Test water parameters (30 min.)
10% water change (30 min.) - if needed...
Monthly: Run phosphate sponge (10 min.)
Now, if that's a lot of maintenance, i'd love to see what a little is. I'll admit, that at first when i didn't have my routine, it was a little hectic, but i've never describe any of the past 11 months as "insanely time consuming", or "difficult to maintain"... I would agree that it is expensive, but definately the most rewarding hobby in the world!!!
Definately purchase "the conscientious marine aquarist" by michael fenner... this book is a life-saver. Read as much as you can on this forum as well... there are many very experienced and knowledgable aquarists on here!
Welcome to the boards, and i hope you decide to go forward with saltwater!!!

adhall

Second, invest in a quality skimmer.
What do you consider a quality skimmer? I have been reading, reading, and reading these forums and I still can't conclude on which to buy for my 72 bow front.

J

jdragunas

i've heard great things about the aqua c remora pro (or something like that...)

O

oreo12

If you set up with live rock and sand have the corect amount to fewer than in fish. a fish only tank is no harder to take care than a fresh water tank . Yes they cost a little more. You have to buy salt for the water you should buy ro water or a filter to get your own ro water at home. Skimmer is a must and dose requier daily check but can be done when you feed. I donot change the water in the fish only tank as often as I do the coral tank. I usaly change 15% once a month in the fish only tank. You will not run an under gravel fillter in the salt tank but still need sevral power heads to move the water around on my 75 gal I have 4 power heads a large power filter with carbon I change once a month. a powerfull internal power filter with live rock in it insted of the sponges and the skimmer moves water as well. You can buy live rock and fish on as well as the snails that keep the alage cleaned off. Like told above read up do it right the first time and you will enjoy the saltwater hoby good luck.