New Saltwater Tank

J

johnhankel

I am getting the itch to start a saltwater tank. I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for about 5 years. No problems at all. I currently have access to a 29 gallon, a 20 H gallon, and a 10 gallon. I was thining about using the 20 H as the main tank and the 10 gallon as a sump. Here is what I was thinking for a setup:
20H gallon glass
10 gallon sump
CPR SR2 protien skimmer in sump
20 pounds live rock
1" live sand
2 powerheads
of course, heater
1-55 watt PC from AH Supply
Custom hood
I was thinking about 2 false perculas, and 1 scooter blenny.
What else do I need to clean the sand? I know some of you will say that the 20H is not big enough, but with no desire to keep anything other than fish and maybe hermit crabs, I think it should work. I would prefer responses from people who have a similar setup, not someone who have thousands of dollars in a 100 gallon + aquarium. Thanks for the time.

robchuck

I've had success with smaller tanks, and my best advise would be to keep the bioload very small. IMO, your suggested setup would be perfect. As far as cleaning the sand goes, I would suggest a clean up crew of some sort (snails, hermits...) My only other suggestion would be to read up on the differences between FW and SW (i.e. the amount of fish you can have for every gallon...etc, etc, etc) Also, I love the idea of having a pair of percs!