new setup (advise)

nufc

Hello,
Just a couple of questions! I have just set up a 48x15x18 tank with a sand bed 20kilos off Live Rock a protein skimmer 2 powerheads and an external canister filter. Three lights a marine blue actinic, coralife 10,00K hi-intensity purified super daylight lamp, and a marine white lamp.
What I would like to do is keep a few fish, shrimps crabs etc, and a couple of anemone?
Can anyone advise me on what to get first, what kind and how many of each?
Thanks

burnnspy

I recommend adding 5+" of live sand or a plenum system and using the canister as a pump only with filters removed before it generates nitrates in the long term.
BurnNSpy

K

kodi

Firefish7 - 10 damsels are a lot for a 55 gal tank, and how do you suggest he gets them out after the cycle is complete?
NUFC - I would suggest you wait for a few more replies before you run out and start putting things in the tank you might regret.

nufc

There is nothing but the lr in at the moment, can i put a cleanup crew in and what would you suggest.
Thanks

andymi

I would make sure you have a good base. I used Natures Ocean Live Sand and it worked well. Try and get some good cured live rock , approx 1lb per gallon of water. This will help you cycle the tank. Or you can get a couple of green chromis and put in about half the live rock with the live sand. When I used the Natures Ocean Live Sand, 1/2 of my live rock I should have and 2 green chromis my cycle was almost non-existant. Whatever you do , dont start adding anything other than just a couple hardy fish or let the live rock perform the cycle for you. Adding too many fish will do nothing but harm the fish and possibly kill them.
--Andy
P.S. Some stores will try and sell you regular damsels, I used the Green Chromis because they are less territorial then other types of damsels, and less agressive. From what I understand some damsels get very angry after going through the cycle :)

wolffam

Damsels ard hardy for cycling, but tend to give you trouble later when adding other fish. You'll eventually make a choice of a damsel only tank, until you'll be able to catch it and return it to the LFS. Although not very exciting to watch (cycling LR) it does the job. I was able to add a lemonpeel angel after my tank cycled which improved the viewing pleasure.