New Setup Cloudy Water - What to do ?

mikes22123

I just setup my new 55 gallon tank. The salt and sand are in. I have two maxi-jet 1200 powerheads running. I also, for now, put a power filter on the back with the sponge and carbon inside. I do not plan on keeping it there, will use live rock and an Aqua C Remora
Pro skimmer instead. Is there anything I can do to speed up the initial cloudiness in the water ? I have the skimmer ready to install but have not put it on the tank yet. Please help.
Thanks

sly

Go ahead and install the skimmer. Some of that cloudiness is attributed to dissolved proteins in the water. But beyond that, most of it is due to micro particles not being "heavy" enough to settle at the bottom. Once your nitrogen cycle gets going, waste chemicals will attach to the floating particles and will weigh them down to the bottom and your tank will be clear. Just give it some time. The tank will clear on its own. It could take a week or more sometimes.

sly

Originally Posted by Mikes22123
about 10 hours
Your tank will probably take about a month to settle out and stabilize.

mikes22123

Thanks, does that mean I need to put the live rock in o start cycling the tank before the cloudiness goes away ?

sly

yes. Putting in live rock is one of the best ways to start the maturing process. A lot of people will put in a "starter" fish like a damsel but this is not necessary. It stresses the fish.
In short, the nitrogen cycle is the process by which your tank handles waste. Fish and decaying matter release ammonia into the water which is highly poisonous. Fortunately, bacteria begins to grow that consumes this ammonia and converts it into Nitrite. Nitrite is still poisonous, though. After the Nitrite levels begin to rise, another bacteria will grow that will consume nitrite and convert it into Nitrate. Nitrate is much safer for fish and higher levels can be tolerated without harm. Most people who do not keep reefs will let their nitrates rise up to about 40ppm before they do a water change. But if you want to keep invertabrates like shrimp, anemones or coral, then you need to keep the nitrate at 0 ppm. Lots of living rock and/or macro algae planted in the tank will consume the nitrate. When nitrate is consumed, it is converted into nitrogen gas and is released into the atmosphere. Nitrogen is completely harmless to the tank and so ends the nitrogen cycle.
Since you just started your tank, you will see a sharp rise in ammonia. About a week or so after that, you will see your nitrates starting to rise. Keep waiting and eventually your nitrates will rise. By this time your ammonia and your nitrite will fall off if you have enough filtration on your tank. Then when your ammonia and nitrite are close to 0 ppm, do a water change and your tank is ready for fish. Your haze will be gone by then.
Add your fish slowly. Only add a couple at a time. Many new fishkeepers want to add 20 fish to their tank and their filter system can not adapt in time (remember the bacteria that forms?). Then the ammonia levels rise too much and their whole tank dies. So be slow, have patience and enjoy your fish at least as much as I do...