New setup with high iron, and real hard water, sugestions?

mggoelz

Looking for any helpful hints or lessons learned, about hard water and high iron from well water, can anyone help out.
Thanks
Mark and Holly

srfisher17

A lot of folks insist on RO water when you have a well. IMO&IME: in a fish-only tank, you can use most well water with no problem. Iron ( and lots of other heavy metals, etc) is easily removed using a resin, like Chemi-Pure. Also, be sure to test for copper (more of a problem than iron), phosphate, nitrates, phosphates, and anything else you can. You even might think about getting a professional water analysis.

beaslbob

IMHO it's even better then that.
Macro algaes in our tanks can become iron limited and therefore I dose small amount of iron. You water already has the iron.
Plus most hard water is from a limestone aquifier which means the water has high amounts of calcium carbonate. Which is dosed in tanks for corraline, clams, hard algaes, and other calcium loving things. So all that means is you would just have to do less dosing.
I think you will find out that with a tank maintained with fast growing macro algaes you will be fine. Unless you want an extensive reef tank filled with delicate sps corals. But for anything else you should be fine.
my .02