New Sponge

jaymz

I got this sponge its very nice and healthy.
I have a few questions. I have placed it on the sand bed as you can see. Is this ok or should it be on a peice of rock.
I have small sponges (green and orange) on my rocks that are doing fine. Do they feed from the water column or can I feed a filter feeding food?
Also, is there a name for this type of sponge? I figured it is some type of ball sponge not sure.

reefkprz

red ball sponge: Cinachyra allocladia
this sponge is a beatifull addition to high nutrient tanks, if you feed lots of phyto or zooplankton to feed your corals this will do great in a shady recess of your tank where you cant keep corals alive due to not enough light. this sponge will help filter your water to remove excess nutrients. unfortunatly they do not do well in tanks that do not have ample filter foods. WARNING: some sponges are extremely toxic, they can crash a tank should a large specimen die. if your tank is prone to micro bubble problems this is not an item for you. air bubbles once lodged in the sponge generally kill the creature. sponges are incapable of expelling air on their own.
information written up by: Erick Chambers

R

rcreations

That's a nice looking sponge. I have one too that came with one of my LR and it's become a great treat for my Queen Angel.

What do you mean by it crashing the tank? If my Queen Angel nips at the sponge, does that crash the tank?

reefkprz

no, if a large sponge dies off all at once, depending on the type it has the potential for disasterous results, an angel nipping at it isnt going to bother it.

R

rcreations

Well, the one I have, she's eating it but it's sort of regenerating. I figured if/when she finishes this one, I'll buy her another one.

reefkprz

its good for her diet in fact its an essential part of her diet, and thats the best way to feed them, with fresh foods IMO. you cant go wrong with that method.