New SPS

infalable

Greetings all. I have two new SPS today. I have read that Zenias and SPS may not be appropriate. Can anyone confirm or deny? Also, I was reading that rotifers are good foods for SPS. Does anyone raise these or where do you get them. What other foods other than light are you using? Thanks.
Some pics

puffer32

If you have good lighting and water conditions they are doable. xenia is not hard to keep like sps, though some people say it is, but i have tons of it in both my tanks. What kind of sps did you get, what are your test readings and lighting?

infalable

250 w MH on my 46 gal. Plenty of light. All peramiters good. One of my coral books states that zenia may give off toxins and that would be my concern. It may be a staghorn, but not sure. The other is a monti cap. I am trying to posts pics.

puffer32

Your lighting will be fine for these sps. I feed all my corals DT's, phyto, rodifers, and cyclopeeze twice a week. I switch around for variety. I am not sure about xenia and toxins, but have always had some in my tank, so i don't think its that dangerous, if at all.

teen

if you mean is it hard to get sps and xenia to live together, the answer is theoretically yes. this is because sps should be in a clean less nutrient rich ebvironment with a low level of DOC's. xenia usually thrives in a nutrient rich habitat, which is the exact opposite of what an sps environment should consist of.
and for ID's. i woulds say blue tip stag and monti cap, which you already knew.

ophiura

Another consideration is that soft corals often put out relatively more chemicals - are aggressive when it comes to chemical warfare - and many LPS and SPS do not care for this. .

teen

im starting a 110 sps tank in about a month. the fuge will consist of xenia and macro algae because they help to keep nutrients low. imo, keep it, ive seen lots of sps tanks with xenia in them. im getting some xenia this week for my 30g sps tank, theyll be going directly into the main tank.

infalable

Thanks for all the responses. I have planning on my first sps for a long time now. I finally get one and starting finding out about things I have never seen before. Just paranoinia on my part. I would like these to be successful - dont we all. I thought my sps was a stag and Teen also thought so, anyone disagree? Thanks all.

krazekajin

what soft/lps coral is next to the monti cap? perhaps it is just the angle of the shot, but it appears that the monit is right next to a hammer coral or frogspawn. Be real careful about how close you put a sps next to a LPS as thier sweeper tenticles can kill an sps. I had a monti digitata that I lost because the frag fell into a colony of zoos. It died the next couple of days.
just my $.02.

infalable

I have both frog and hammer, but they are far away. What you see there is a ric. The tank is a bow front so it distorts the edges of the pic a bit.

reefkprz

Love the name infalable especially since its spelled Infallible (if thats the word you meant its a great pun misspelling that was a great joke)
infallible
adj : incapable of failure or error; "an infallible antidote"; "an
infallible memmory";
:hilarious

infalable

Hey reefkprz, you got it. Few realize that it is misspelled and the pun that goes with it.
hey Kraze, would you move the ric and leave an open space for the monti to grow. The ric is on a small rock that can be moved just about anywhere.

reefkprz

I laughed for almost ten minutes, seriously tears were coming out of my eyes. my girlfriend was looking at me like I lost my freeking mind.

krazekajin

I would. Only because I am new to SPS too and I lost several frags because of chemical warfare. In my tank, I value SPS more than other corals, so I am willing to move any of my other corals in order to allow an sps to grow better.
That being said, I do have a large monit or similar coral that has a small mushroom polpy touching it and I have not seen any burning or warfare to the monti.
So, in a nutshell, if the ric is easy to move, do it to be safe. If not, I don't think it would be a huge prob, but I would watch it still.
Nice looking frags by the way.