New SWF Reef package with CBS?

sultan

I was about to purchase one of the SWF's reef packs when I noticed that they added 1 coral banded shrimp to most of the packages. Is that a problem? Will a coral banded shrimp slaughter the rest of the intertibrates? What about peppermint shrimp? :nervous:

innsmouth

Just removed mine today. She was eating yellow leather polyps. Before that she constantly harassed my firefish.

clarkiiboi

I am very biased against them, but I believe problems may start once they get bigger. That said, it won't take long to grow. Wouldn't it be nice if the packages said x many snails, shrimps, etc and we could pick what we wanted for each. I don't order the packages b/c of that, I pay a little more and order seperatly. If you have a sump or fuge then you could put it there. Again I am biased from a bad experience so wait for others to respond.

wrassie86

I'm not sure how long there supposed to live, but i had a mated pair in my old 90g tank they wondred the tank for about 5yrs before they kicked the bucket each within a week or so.1 was always pregnant and they never once bothered any of my corals,altho they did kill 2 cleaner shimps.i thought they were great.but needless to say i would rather have cleaner shrimp and will not add anymore CBS unless it's to my fuge.

sultan

The SWF reef package I am interested in contains 10 peppermint shrimp. What are the chances that the CBS will kill them and my hermits?
I have a 24 inch CPR - HOB fuge, I wonder if it is big enough for one CBS? :thinking:

masterreef

I have 2 HUGE CBS (mated pair) in my 55 along with some peppermints and small fish and have never had a problem, however these guys (in general)are very inconsistant in behavior and I know some others have had problems. It helps if you introduce the CBS last as they have less tendancy to be aggressive . . . IMO

jscarb2

the coral banded in my brothers tank killed 2 fish and possibly his cleaner and peppermint shrimp.did not see the shrimp get killed but saw him attack the fish.he now lives in the fuge