new tank breakin aceleration?

lar

my new tank will be 240gal, nearly 200 lbs of base and live rock, all live sand, and 50 gals of water from a old 3year old tank. With these conditions do you think my Lunar wrasse and lion fish could go into it from day one, no other fish for 30 days,

porkypuffer

nice tank!!!!!!!!!! good question? i would be sure to use r/o or distilled water and test the water frequently for the first couple of weeks. i would do this ONLY if you can't keep the fish in the 55 gal tank until the 240 gal tank cycles.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 04-07-2000).]

kris

I guess I would give it a week to be on the safe side-but you certainly will cycle fast-
hey-maybe you can try out this new product I've been hearing about--called aquachargers precolonized media-You could maybe even break rangers record-breaking cycle time of a week.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'd see how things went with the setup running with just the live rock in for at least a week. You can leave the tank that you currently have your fish in up and running to do a quick change back if problems arise. Do water tests at least 2X a day if you're going to put your fish in there right off though! And at least let your salt water circulate for 24 hours before putting in anything! Good Luck [I'm jealous of your new tank
]
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 04-07-2000).]

jess

Go for it. I did the same with my tank when it was new. Put the water from the old tank in the tons of live rock. I wait 3 days but nothing happend so I added the fish. And they are alive and will today. If anything, your ammonia MIGHT get to 0.50, but your nitrites will stay at 0. Just make sure you only add hardy fish for the first week or so. Have fun

fishgirl

Generaly i say be careful, but this is a great tank, and they're hardy fish so, GIVE IT A GO. I am soooo envious you your tank.