new tank- cycling question

fishman7663

Hello to all.
First my story: I am an experienced freshwater hobbyists of 15 years, but a newbie at saltwater. I recently purchased one of those jellyfish aquariums, had 3 jellyfish established in the tank and later added 1 Clownfish. Although the Clownfish is doing great
, unfortunately, the jellyfish did not fair well and after a few times trying, they died
, so I have decided that that is enough. I have done everything that I am supposed to do with this tank including water changes every week. Clearly, I believe that jellyfish are not meant for aquariums.
Now, I have a 10G tank sitting downstairs empty and would like to start that tank up, put my Clownfish in there and add some other small critters later. My question is this:
"If I take the water (approx 6 gallons) and the established substrate out and put it in the 10G and also add Aragonite (spelling?) sand and live rock, can I just transfer my Clownfish over to the 10G or do I have to wait a month + for another cycle process to start?"
All advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Greg

reefkprz

IF the new rock you add isnt cycled chances are good you will still have a nutrient spike. if your using all established (cycled) rock, and dead sand you shouldnt have a spike. you can do the transfer and be prepared just in case by having a bucket of salt water premixed for water changes, and some seachen prime or amquell plus on hand to dose in case of ammonia spiking.
but over all I think you will be ok.

snakeblitz33

Did you have a chiller on the jellyfish tank?
^ ReefKprZ is right. If you use all cycled rock and dead sand, there is very little chance of an ammonia spike. If you have filtration media from your jellyfish tank, keep it wet/underwater while you move everything over and re-use your old filtration on the new tank and you shouldn't have any problems.

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392437/new-tank-cycling-question#post_3484705
Did you have a chiller on the jellyfish tank?
^ ReefKprZ is right. If you use all cycled rock and dead sand, there is very little chance of an ammonia spike. If you have filtration media from your jellyfish tank, keep it wet/underwater while you move everything over and re-use your old filtration on the new tank and you shouldn't have any problems.
No, I did not have a chiller on the jellyfish tank.
I am not going to add the rock right away, but I will definitely get cycled rock when I do. I am going to put the old cycled substrate in the new tank along with some live sand. There is not filtered media for the jellyfish tank...the tank relied on weekly water changes, which I did.

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman7663 http:///t/392437/new-tank-cycling-question#post_3484723
No, I did not have a chiller on the jellyfish tank.
I am not going to add the rock right away, but I will definitely get cycled rock when I do. I am going to put the old cycled substrate in the new tank along with some live sand. There is not filtered media for the jellyfish tank...the tank relied on weekly water changes, which I did.
Oh, and I am going to add about 5 gallons of the water, which has ammonia in it already, from the jellyfish to the new tank and 5 gallons fresh water.

fishman7663

I would just like to give an update:
I did the transfer to the 10G on Saturday. I added live sand, 10lbs of live rock, some established media from the old tank, and about 4 gallons of water from the old tank.
Everything went smoothly. It is now Monday and I did a check on the tank parameters. They are better than I expected:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 10 ppm
PH 8.2-8.4
My Clown is doing great, loves his new place. I plan on adding just a few more friends in. I do not want a brawling tank. I really like the Damsels, but I have heard that they can get a little bossy. Is this true? Here is what I am thinking about but all suggestions are welcome:
Possibly 1 other Clown or another variance of swimming fish. Is 1 Pygmy Angel too big for a 10G?
1 Emerald Green Crab
1 Peppermint or Fire Shrimp
All advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman7663 http:///t/392437/new-tank-cycling-question#post_3485115
I would just like to give an update:
I did the transfer to the 10G on Saturday. I added live sand, 10lbs of live rock, some established media from the old tank, and about 4 gallons of water from the old tank.
Everything went smoothly. It is now Monday and I did a check on the tank parameters. They are better than I expected:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 10 ppm
PH 8.2-8.4
My Clown is doing great, loves his new place. I plan on adding just a few more friends in. I do not want a brawling tank. I really like the Damsels, but I have heard that they can get a little bossy. Is this true? Here is what I am thinking about but all suggestions are welcome:
Possibly 1 other Clown or another variance of swimming fish. Is 1 Pygmy Angel too big for a 10G?
1 Emerald Green Crab
1 Peppermint or Fire Shrimp
All advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
WOW! I'm glad this is not a life or death situation waiting for an answer...my fish might have been dead already

yannifish

You may have some difficulties adding another clown at this point, you'll have to choose a properly sized clownfish to pair to your probably by now female clown. Besides, your tank is only ten gallons, so just sticking with one fish may be the best idea. An angel would not be happy in a ten gallon.
Inverts look good.

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannifish http:///t/392437/new-tank-cycling-question#post_3485402
You may have some difficulties adding another clown at this point, you'll have to choose a properly sized clownfish to pair to your probably by now female clown. Besides, your tank is only ten gallons, so just sticking with one fish may be the best idea. An angel would not be happy in a ten gallon.
Inverts look good.
Ok, I'll just go with the Inverts then. Thanks