New tank Live rock to late?

skrimpz

Hello All,
I al new and started my Fish only tank about 4 weeks ago i has been running and i have added two blue finned damsels 2-3 days ago. I have been looking at all the forum and reading how live rock itsnt that much differnt from a fish only tank and doesnt really require any special attention, if this ture. And if so should i get some vern though i have already added two fish ? Also i am currently ucing a penguin 125 for a filter but am going to get a canister i was thinking the fluval 204 or the marineland HOT magenum. Which do you think is better? Thanx Hope evryone had a wonderful holidays!!!!! This is a pic of my tank so far!!

zibnata

In my opinion and I am far from an expert is that you will need good lighting for LR. What do you have for lights.You probably will have a cycle in your tank if you add too much at one time. I have a 55 and had a Fluval 304 and after it broke TWICE thank God I was near the tank or it would have emptied.Since then I have a hang on just to run carbon now and then.I have tons of LR which eliminates the use for a filter. I also have a protien skimmer. I hope you get more replies and If I am off the mark please feel free to correct me.

skrimpz

I only have one light it was a power-glo i got it from my work and said it was good for saltwater fish and inverts. My mother threw the box away so thats all i know, plus my tank is a hexagon which doesnt alow much space for lighting

zibnata

I would say you would need at least 2-65w Compact fluorecents to have LR.Do some searching to find the right size. Do a search on Corallife aqualights.There is a site that sells a 24" for $85.its a nice hood comes with one actinic bulb and one 10000k bulb. I have one on my 20 gallon and its good for LR. If you want I can email you the site if you give your email address.

cowfishrule

regular strip lights work for live rock. hell, when i was cycling my tank, i didnt even turn my lights on for the first 3 weeks

skrimpz

Thanx so much i will defiently have to go get some live rock now! Does anyone else use a fluval though i am still debating between the HOT amgnum and fluval 204

skrimpz

hi again, i was reading some old posts about Live rock and someone said that you cannot add live rock if you already have fish is this true? does this mean i will never be able to add live rock except for if i took my two damsels out ( and put in hosptial tank)and then added the live rock?

thedude

The problem with adding LR to a tank that already has fish is the tank will begin to "cycle" (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates will rise to very high levels) once you feed your fish. To avoid this most people add the LR and begin "feeding" their fish before the fish are in the tank, allowing about a month for the toxic amounts of chemicals to go back down.
Im not sure how to get around the cycle, maybe adding small amounts of LR bit by bit or keeping your fish in a temp. tank...these are just ideas. Then again you could always just leave your fish there and risk hurting them...im not sure how big of a risk this is, but I wouldnt do it...im worried enough about my fishies as it is :rolleyes:

dedwards

You can add LR after adding fish. You just have to make sure that it is fully cured. I purchase my LR locally so that cure time is nearly zero. If you purchase LR online and it has to be shipped then you will need to cure it before it is added to your tank.

zelfin

First off I DO NOT take credit for this. I copied it elsewhere. But I do hope this helps you.
Method A: Curing process of live rock for the established display aquarium that already contains fish, corals, or any other marine animals.
Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.021 - 1.025
Provide a heater and keep the water temperature near 80 degrees to speed die off.
Create constant water movement with a power head or air stone.
Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
Perform 100% water changes twice weekly.
Scrub the rock with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
Most rock will be fully cured in 1- 3 weeks, at which time it is safe to add to the display aquarium.
When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia and nitrite tests are zero, the rock is ready to be placed into the display aquarium.
Method B: Curing process of live rock for the new aquarium that does NOT contain fish, corals, or any other marine animals.
Live rock may be used to cycle a new marine aquarium. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the installation of all filtration devices and accessories. Fill aquarium with water and add salt to achieve the desired specific gravity of 1.023-1.025. Activate all filtration equipment, check for leaks, and set heater and/or chiller to the desired temperature of 72-78°F.
Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
Scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove any white film or dead material.
Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
Check the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
When both the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Depending on the equipment that is installed, most aquariums will cycle within 2-4 weeks using this technique.

skrimpz

Tanx yes i will have to go see if i can find any locally in my area alough i don't think there are too many places in Missouri that carry LR except ***** and i dont want to go there ( escpically since i work for their main competor, LOL)