New Tank, Need Advise

martianarts

My boyfriend and I started a small 20 gallon tank this summer and it has been doing very well, but I think we're ready to go for a larger tank.
I would really like to go with a 54 gallon corner tank, but I just wanted to know if they are more or less difficult to maintain because of it's shape.
Also, I think we would like to build a sump for this tank, but we don't really know a lot about their setup and cost.
Any sort of directions or advise would be cool.
-SammiJo

T

thomas712

54 corners are nice but think of the fish that you might like to keep. Tangs for instance will need room side to side in length because they love to swim, so a 5 foot tank is said to be a minimum for tangs.
So what kind of fish are you looking to keep?
Thomas

martianarts

Good point.
I'm definitely looking into tangs. A 54 corner at it's widest point is a little less than 4 feet.
Unfortunately, that is the best tank for the amount of space available in the room I'd like to place the tank.
Even with a lightly stocked tank, would it be too small for a yellow tang?

T

thomas712

Well of all the Tangs out there the Yellow is maybe, the only one that I would try to place in a smaller tank, they still enjoy the side to side thing like all tangs and in many of the places that I have looked I have found a 75 gallon tank to be (about the minimum). This doesn't mean you can't do it as I personally know many have done it, including in 55 gallon tanks.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Yellow tangs get to be about 8 inches (give or take) if they live and eat well.
Thomas