New Tank, New Fish....

manycolors

I have a couple questions, I have had a tank for about 1 1/2 months now and so far everything is going ok.... I have been trying to learn everything by reading different forums to try and figure stuff out. SO- this is what i've got, A 55 gallon tank, 2 Domino Damsels and 1 False Perc. after exstensive reading and experience i have learned that damsels are MEAN! My clownfish is doing pretty good but he gets picked on every once in a while and he definatly doesnt get first picks on food, but i make sure he eats, I want my tank to be a little bit more "even" what is everyones opinion on getting another False Percula? Whould that worsen my condition? Or should i just get rid of the Damsels? and later on down the road i want to add some inverts and maybe even then some coral. (i also have a problem with what i have concluded to be diatomic algea) but from what i am reading this is normal (new tank syndrom) when should i get conserned about this being an issue?
My tank info-
SG- 1.025
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20

j.p

welcome to the boards! about the damsels..... i would definatly take them out there mean little devils and the clownfish dont mix different kinds of clownfish but u can pair them up idk to mcuh about it but u could post that in the clownfish anenome section good luck! and keep us updated!

patandlace

If you're getting another false perc get one smaller than the one you already have. I would definately get rid of the damsels if you plan on adding peacefull fish.

manycolors

I think im taking the Damsels back tomorrow, its going to be sad to see them go but i know it will be better in the long run....
I have read about mixing false perc, and about the size, i believe the lfs has a juvi that is looking for new home, I would also like to get some inverts, what do i need to know about those guys? (calcium ext.?)
Thank you guys for being so helpful

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ManyColors
I think im taking the Damsels back tomorrow, its going to be sad to see them go but i know it will be better in the long run....
I have read about mixing false perc, and about the size, i believe the lfs has a juvi that is looking for new home, I would also like to get some inverts, what do i need to know about those guys? (calcium ext.?)
Thank you guys for being so helpful
Inverts need longer acclimation time. Your SG is already high enough for them. Drip acclimate for 3-4 hrs. I would not buy any yet though if you are still having a diatom bloom. Wait until that subsides. Inverts don't like diatoms. When the diatoms stop then other algaes will start growing.

manycolors

About how long is the diatom bloom going to last, i know that it probably varies, but an idea within weeks or months would be great

fish crazy

Originally Posted by ManyColors
About how long is the diatom bloom going to last, i know that it probably varies, but an idea within weeks or months would be great
it took me about a month