New Tank, Please help - Pics tell better story

nemo kid

I have opted to tell my story with pics. Please help. I will reply as necessary if any questions come up.

-tara33-

you say that you test for ammonia every week, well the spike of ammonia may have only gone for 2-3 days, without you noticing. as your rock may be cured with very little die of, you might find that you wont have much of a cycle, and the damsel may have died while the ammonia was high without you knowing, or you might want to take your water to the lfs to test your amm. test kit may be faulty

scottallert

you should put more rock in there, the little amount of rock you have may only cause a small cycle 2-3 days like stated above.
And gradually through doing water changes bring your salanity to about 1.025
And take out the bioballs and replace them with small pieces of live rock.

C

cmaxwell39

I think that you may have a bad ammonia test kit. When I do my test for ammonia after I put in the second solution and shake it up it turns cloudy at first and then slowly (over the 5 minutes you are supposed to wait) turns to its end color. I have never had an ammonia test come back with a clear color. Maybe try to get a different ammonia test kit to see if that helps.
I know a lot of LFS will tell you to cycle a tank with damsels, but I would not cycle a tank that way. There is a very good likely hood that the fish is going to die if it is in the tank during the cycle, and damsels can get very mean as they get older.
There are a number of different ways to cycle a tank. Some people use live rock that is uncured and let the curing of the live rock cycle the tank. Others "ghost feed" the tank (feed the tank fish food as if there is a fish in it even if there is not). Others use a raw shrimp. There is a lot of info on the boards here about cycling if you do a search.
If it were my tank I think I would take out the fish that is in the tank, get the rest of your live rock and make sure the tank is cycled. Then start adding fish slowly (one or two fish every month or so). Patience pays off when starting a new tank. Hope that helps and good luck.

fishytim

take your water to your LFS and have them test it.. while you are there, buy a new Ammonia test kit... even a 0 ppm should come up yellow...

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by cmaxwell39
http:///forum/post/2900057
I think that you may have a bad ammonia test kit. When I do my test for ammonia after I put in the second solution and shake it up it turns cloudy at first and then slowly (over the 5 minutes you are supposed to wait) turns to its end color. I have never had an ammonia test come back with a clear color. Maybe try to get a different ammonia test kit to see if that helps.
I know a lot of LFS will tell you to cycle a tank with damsels, but I would not cycle a tank that way. There is a very good likely hood that the fish is going to die if it is in the tank during the cycle, and damsels can get very mean as they get older.
There are a number of different ways to cycle a tank. Some people use live rock that is uncured and let the curing of the live rock cycle the tank. Others "ghost feed" the tank (feed the tank fish food as if there is a fish in it even if there is not). Others use a raw shrimp. There is a lot of info on the boards here about cycling if you do a search.
If it were my tank I think I would take out the fish that is in the tank, get the rest of your live rock and make sure the tank is cycled. Then start adding fish slowly (one or two fish every month or so). Patience pays off when starting a new tank. Hope that helps and good luck.
Your right about the test kit. I have the same one and it goes cloudy and settles.
If you've had it 2 months I would say your good to go if you have a 0 reading for the ammonia.

oceansidefish

First of all your salinity is to low. Should be around .023-.025. I would get the fish that are still alive out and take them back to the store for a few weeks. Then add at least another 50 pounds of live rock. Let it cycle for a few weeks and get your salinity up. You probably never saw much of a cycle. Also the brown stuff on the sand is diatoms and is normal in a new tank.

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/2900306
First of all your salinity is to low. Should be around .023-.025. I would get the fish that are still alive out and take them back to the store for a few weeks. Then add at least another 50 pounds of live rock. Let it cycle for a few weeks and get your salinity up. You probably never saw much of a cycle. Also the brown stuff on the sand is diatoms and is normal in a new tank.
Completely agree. This is the first step you should take.

nemo kid

I didn't expect this much help, this quickly. Thank you all for the great advise. Can someone tell me if my life support tank will do for this 90 gallon tank. I will replace the bio-balls with some live rock. I really hope this works. I see a lot of fancy sumps in this forums. Thanks again.

elite

as well as what every one has said so far
one of the best things that happened was your damsel died now you dont have to go threw the hassle of trying to catch them (which is almost impossible) they will terrorize your other fish sooner or later.....

C

cmaxwell39

I think that the life support system will be fine. You may eventually want to change it out for a custom made sump or sump/fuge. You will want to change out the bio-balls for live rock rubble for sure. There will be a lot less maintanance this way.
One more thing on your life support system. I do not see any space for a skimmer. I am not sure if you could redesign the chambers to have room for one or not, but if you can I would highly suggest it.

nemo kid

Bountyhunter23, I live in LA, Ca. I will be adding 50lbs of rock this weekend. Some will go into the life support system. I am following all of your recommendations hoping to have a sustainable tank soon so that I can put in some colorful stuff in it. Thanks again!

stanlalee

make sure you take out the clown unless your 100% sure the rock you buy is completely cured otherwise he probably wont make it. you can stop testing ammonia until you get the additional liverock, its been two months and you still have a clown alive, your nitrites look to be zero. you either already cycled or your rock was cured and your not going to have a cycle. I would also get another ammonia kit as suggested just to make sure.