new tank readings

princess pete

Please tell me what readings I should take before adding any fish to my new tank: Here's what I have 50gal, 50lbs live rock, 20lbs live sand,seaclone skimmer, 2 maxi jets 1200, heater. It has been set up for a month. Any help would be appreciated!!! Would also like some suggestions on some corals I could buy to start.

H

hubu

definitely ammonia level bc thats what kills fish. also check out nitrate, nitrate, and pH just to be on the safe side. how long has the tank been set up and for how long? what fish are you putting in it?

ed r

Ammonia and nitrite must be zero and stay there before adding any creatures. It would be nice if the nitrate was also zero, but any low reading is probably ok. Keep any eye on it in case it rises. The pH should be between 8.1-8.4. If you can meet these conditions, it should be safe to slowly add hardy animals. Best hardy/starter corals are zooanthids, polyps, and mushrooms. These are more light tolerant. What type and amount of lighting do you have? That will determine what else you might add. Good luck.