New Tank Set up Help

jsteiert

I am going to be setting up my new AGA 65 gal mega flow tank soon, Im in process of collecting everything I need before hand. Im new to this and need some assistance.
1. The overflow is rated at 600 gph ( 1" bulkhead fitting) which is on the bottom of the tank. Will I need a pump to move water to the sump or will gravity feed be fine?
2. Return line is a 3/4" bulkhead fitting, to match the discharge side how big of a pump will I need?
3. Sump, fuge, closed loop, ???? which should I go with? Im confused over which would best suit my needs.
4. Size of sump,fuge, to use?
The tank is going o be a reef tank with any and all corals I can put in it as well as fish. I plan on putting a TEK 36" 6 bulb light on it.
Right now all I have s the tank and a lot of blank spaces in my mind on how to properly set it up.
Help please

C

cmaxwell39

You will not need to have a pump to move water from the tank to the sump. It is gravity fed. The rreturn pump needs to match the flow from the overflow. Finally you want to use as big of a sump fuge as you can.

fedukeford

1.No pump needed, its all gravity fed.
2. You should look for a pump thats rated around 650 GPH, you could always slow it down a little.
3. You could go with all 3 if you wanted to, but there are different benifits for each.
Sump: More total water= more stable parimeters, room to store heaters, skimmers, filters, so they dont have to be in the tank.
Fuge: more total water so more stable parimeters, provides nice space to grow macroalgea to lower nitrates, or a nice place for pods to live and reproduce. If you run the fuge lights opposite the DT lights then there wont be as much, or no PH swing at night.
Closed loop: Provides extra flow without haveing to many/no powerheads in the tank. Youd have to drill the back of the tank.
4. The bigger the better. Again the more water volume the more stable your paramiters will be. Either go as big as the stand can hold, or mabey plumb a sump into the basement or a sperate room.

f14peter

If it's the traditional set-up with the sump in the stand under the tank, I'd suggest you could go with a slightly higher rated pump than Fedukeford mentioned if you want to. You're probably looking at at least a 4-foot headloss, and you could probably go up to 750GPH or so and still get a bit less than 600GPH going back into the tank.
I have a 90g with a 600GPH overflow and my Mag7 (700GPH) is giving me a little less than 500GPH at the 4-foot plus change headloss I have. I originally bought a RIO PLUS2500 rated at 780GPH and the headloss was going to put me at about 530GPH.