New tank setup questions

kas2247

Hi everyone,
I have a 20H tank that used to be freshwater, but when a horrendous outbreak of Ich killed my entire tank, I decided to tear it down and wait a little while until I could afford to set it up as saltwater. I don't expect a whole lot from this tank, i'm looking at it as big learning experience and don't plan to add fish for quite a while. I've been reading on this board off and on for at least a year and have learned TONS of info, but now I have a few questions of my own. Basically, all I really want to do right now is fill it up with water, 20ish# LR & 20ish#LS, cycle, add some crabs, shrimp, etc... a decent sized clean-up crew (and yes, I know they will clean the tank then have nothing else to eat, so I plan to keep feeding the tank to create waste... will this work?). Maybe in 6 months or so, I'll add a clown or two and maybe one or two other small fish.
What pieces of equipment can I absolutely not do without? I would like to add a sump/fuge down the road, but can't right now. I have a HOB carbon filter that was used for FW, there are no metal parts in it to rust, can this be run? Also, all I have are the standard floursecent lights that came on it. Will these be sufficient for what I plan to do? Are there any corals that I could eventually add with only floursecent lights? And last, without fish in the tank, do I absolutely need a skimmer? If so, could someone recommend a not-too-pricey one that will do the job? I'd like a HOB AND In-Sump model so that I can use it now, but still be able to put it in my sump down the road a bit. I bought salt, a refractometer, and a bunch of test kits a few months ago, so all of that is already taken care of.
Thanks in advance for the help--I know people say not to skimp on the equipment, but I don't have any choice right now and I really want to get this tank set back up--even if all it has is the rock & sand. It's just sitting here empty begging to be filled with water and making me very depressed.
Thanks and Hello to everyone!

renogaw

i did the same thing. i had my 20 gallon going with just a biowheel filter, a powerhead, about 20 lbs of lr, no sand and the flourecent bulb (was like a reef bulb though)
if you're just trying to get the hang of it you should be fine with above. but once you start adding corals you will definitely want to get a skimmer and better lights.
you wouldnt have to wait 6 months to put in percs.

michaeltx

Basically, all I really want to do right now is fill it up with water, 20ish# LR & 20ish#LS, cycle, add some crabs, shrimp, etc... a decent sized clean-up crew (and yes, I know they will clean the tank then have nothing else to eat, so I plan to keep feeding the tank to create waste... will this work?).
yes this will be fine you dont really want to create waste just enough for the clean up crew to eat and the bacteria to stay alive.
What pieces of equipment can I absolutely not do without? I would like to add a sump/fuge down the road, but can't right now. I have a HOB carbon filter that was used for FW, there are no metal parts in it to rust, can this be run?
the Hang on filter can be used without a problem I use them cartridgeless to add agitation to the tank and a place to add chemical filtraion if needed.
Are there any corals that I could eventually add with only floursecent lights?
There are very few that will do great under those lights The depend on light to live like plants so skimmping here will cost you in lthe ling run.
And last, without fish in the tank, do I absolutely need a skimmer?
you can do without a skimmer but the tank will look better and be in better health with a good skimmer.
I'd like a HOB AND In-Sump model so that I can use it now, but still be able to put it in my sump down the road a bit
You can do a search for online slatwater stores that will give you a lot of results I cant think of the ones that are either or but they are out there so I cant receomend one for you.
I bought salt, a refractometer, and a bunch of test kits a few months ago, so all of that is already taken care of.
becareful on purchaseing chemicals ahead of time. Test kits included the will expire and will give you false readings most are only good for about a year or so.
HTH
Mike

kas2247

Thank you both very much!
The only reason I was going to wait a while to add the clowns is because I can't really afford the filtration--or the fish for that matter at this time. So I figured I'd just get started with some crabs, snails, etc.
Again, thank you both. I really appreciate your help!