New tank setup...sorta

acurasquirrel

Alright I few months ago I was planning to setup a saltwater aquarium in my 55 gallon aquarium. Well I got some southdown sand mixed with some live sand and I added saltwater and thats all I did. Its been like 4 or 5 months. A nice sheet of brown algae has formed along with a little green. The sand has small bubbles in it . Anyway would it be safe to add live rock and some damsels or should I start all over again. I was thinking I could throw in a damsel (after testing the water conditions) and if it survived I would throw in some live rock as I would hate to lose over 100 dollars in live rock.

jwalters77

I agree with Karvis, cycling with the LR is much easier...I have done it both ways..LR is definitly easier...In my case I started with 2 damsels and after 2wks my ammonia was still barely detectable...Then I put 75lbs of LR and my ammonia shot up within 4 or 5 days...It was a very quick cycle...HTH
:)
Jake

acurasquirrel

So you guys wouldnt think the water is toxic? My only reason for putting a damsel in was to see if the water was viable. My eventual goal for this aquarium is 2 percula clowns, flame angel, firefish, and a flame hawk. Does that sound like to much for a 55?

cowfish

Originally posted by Excite74:
<strong>I added liverock to my tank when i added the sand and the salt mix. You should have put the liverock in and cycled the tank with it..it may be another 3-4 months before you can put any fish/inverts into your aquarium.
500g acrylic:
-4 moorish idols
-1 copperbanded butterfly'
-10 yellow tailed damsels
-sponges assorted sponge
-mushroom, brain, etc
-6 yellow tangs
-5 true perculas
300 hermits....alot
other stuff
-505 lbs of liverock
-2,000 watts of light actinic, and also 10,000K
-1lionfish
-2 moon wrasse
-6 6 common cleaner wrasse</strong><hr></blockquote>
ok off topic gut has your lion fish ever killed any thing like your mushrooms or any thing