New Tank Syndrome??

melissa1

We have had our reef or a month or so and have noticed that thereis alike an oilly film on the top of the water. My boyfriend did some research last night and thinks it may be new tank syndrome, has any one heard of this? Whst is the best way to correct it?
Also when an anemone dies will it stay attached to the LR??

stuckinfla

Do you have an anenome in your tank?? One month is way to young for that. They need excelent water conditions, and an established tank.

melissa1

Our tank has ben fully cycels for the last two weeks, i know that that sounds crazy but it has been the tank was a brackishtank before it became a sw tank we have been checking the water parameters everyday to make sure that everything is ok and hey guess what they are no ammonia no nitrates no nitrites salinity is perfect, PH good.
We waited for everything to -0- out before we got the anemone or even any corals, we actually have 2 and one is doing awsome where as the other is weird.
We were told it was a rose bulb aneomne but after looking at the RBA online i dont think that it is a RBA. When the lights are off it looks like it is dead but once the lights come on it is fine it opend totally and seem great, but i am more concrened with the film on the top of the water

himandher

just a little caution. Our tank also cycled quickly, and we were doing wonderful. Added new creatures at 4 weeks after it had cycled. But in about the 12 th week it totally crashed. Some advice we recieved said that when you stock it too soon, that is often common. Wish someone would have told us before, we lost a lot of fish, and $$$$. The film, I dont know. Have added any medications?

clarkiiboi

The oily film is common when there is not enough flow breaking the waterline. Add more flow towards or on the surface and it should go away. If an anemone dies you'll know it, it becomes a pile of slime. What you are seeing, I believe, is just the normal act of some anemones. They close up into their base at night (usually) and open up when lights on. Sometimes you will see a brown slime coming out of it when closed up, that is just releasing waste. Try looking at haitian anemones, that could be what you have, if I remember right. HTH