new tank with no1, 2, 3 steady

jenkins2212

Just set up a 55 with lr, ls, and a canister filter with the blue sponge from my old filter on top of the new sponge in the canister filter. started cycle with cocktail shrimp and using cycle.
Par:
amm- .25
nitrites- 4
nitrates- 12.5+
ph- 8.6
Everything went up at the same time and has kind of stayed for a couple of days. I have some xenia on the lr and its doing great. Any ideas?

kas2247

I'm not really sure what your question is...
It looks like the cycle is on the down slope since your nitrates are going up.
Have any pics? I also have a 55 and love seeing other people's tanks to get ideas for my own!

kas2247

Just re-read the last sentence & it made more sense this time

Was the LS & LR from your old tank too or just the filter? It could just be a mini-cycle and everything should go back down to 0 soon.

ltrguy559

Originally Posted by jenkins2212
http:///forum/post/2902357
Just set up a 55 with lr, ls, and a canister filter with the blue sponge from my old filter on top of the new sponge in the canister filter. started cycle with cocktail shrimp and using cycle.
Par:
amm- .25
nitrites- 4
nitrates- 12.5+
ph- 8.6
Everything went up at the same time and has kind of stayed for a couple of days. I have some xenia on the lr and its doing great. Any ideas?
Was the old canister in use? If so, I wonder if that would make the nitrites and nitrates go that high. I would not expect that from a tank that just got setup.