New tank

firefish3

In a 30 gallon tank with 3 inches of live sand and 45 pounds of live rock what can I put in right away what do I have to wait to put in? for how long? Any comments welcome Thanks

cimpow137

i have a 29g tank and plan on putting in 2 perc clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, and a yellow clown goby, i am also gonna put in another peppermint shrimp and add various corals...

birdy

Firefish- are you familiar with cycling a tank? if not, you need to step back a minute and research cycling. You should not put anything in a new tank until it is completely cycled. Not even damsels.
You must have patience in this hobby to be successful.

firefish3

Can you put in two firefish gobies right away?
Can you put in 5 peppermint shrimp in right away?
Can you put in 10 zebra hermit crabs right away?
Can you put in 3 cleaner clams right away?
Can you put in 3 neon gobies right away?
Can you put in 1 mouse cowrie right away?
Should I wait for the fish in case there are mantis shrimp on the LR?

cimpow137

you cant put anything in a saltwater tank right away.. ever! you have to let it cycle. You need to go read some books and then start thinking about what you want in your tank. this hobby is all about patience and if you dont use patience you will kill most of your fish! please go read a book or 2 b4 doing anything with your tank

birdy

Did you read anything I said!?
You NEED to read a book, like one I have recommened to you, you need to understand more about setting up an aquarium. You cannot add a ton of livestock at anytime to a saltwater aquarium, Read about the cycle and you will understand more, Then you can add a small cleanup crew and one or two fish, then you will slowly add more over several months.

nolson

Sounds sort of like hes gonna do whatever he wants because hes not paying attention at all... Have fun!

firefish3

sorry just looking for the right book. I cant decide which one to get. (I am jusst really like this, I hate spending money unless I really like what I am spending it for and so I am looking for the right book)

birdy

The New Marine Aquarium, by Michael S. Palletta, it is not expensive ($12) it is very easy to read and understand.
Or the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, this book is a little more expensive, a little more intense reading, but very very good. .

faraday

1. Don't do anything more to your tank.
2. Seek advice from some of the people on here, a lot of them were where you are at, and have been doing this for a long time. Nothing better than getting advice from people who do this and have experience.
3. Get a FEW books, not just one. You will constantly use them throughout your whole SWA life. I just got the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, and it is an excellent first starter book. It opened my eyes up to a few things I wasn't understanding.
4. Also, since I have been looking at several boards, and see the same questions, over and over. Before you ask questions, do a search and see if someone has asked that question before, and read the replies they got to their question. And if you don't understand any of the replies you read, then ask that question again.
5. Know your tank. Everyone will always ask you, what's your tank setup, what is your equipment, what are your water levels, what do you have in it, etc. Keep a log of everything, and be ready to provide info of your SWA.
If I am off my rock and out of order here, just let me know.