New Tank

flapper

HiYa, I just got my new saltwater tank set up, Gonna git me some damsels to get things rolling, The pet shop people were very helpful, They are gonna sell me some Blue Devils & another kind but I don't remember the name of them, Later I'm gonna git me some Eels & Triggerfish to go in there, Hopefully by Friday I can have everything in there, I got a pretty big tank cause 10 gal. just didn't seem like it would be big enough.

mkroher

Originally Posted by Flapper
http:///forum/post/3121068
HiYa, I just got my new saltwater tank set up, Gonna git me some damsels to get things rolling, The pet shop people were very helpful, They are gonna sell me some Blue Devils & another kind but I don't remember the name of them, Later I'm gonna git me some Eels & Triggerfish to go in there, Hopefully by Friday I can have everything in there, I got a pretty big tank cause 10 gal. just didn't seem like it would be big enough.
Proof that other countries think that Americans are stupid.

spanko

What is it with all the trolling going on lately? I guess there are just too many people out of work that they are looking for something to do.

salt210

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3121170
What is it with all the trolling going on lately? I guess there are just too many people out of work that they are looking for something to do.
either that or its a little kid

markw

If its a little kid, I feel even more sorry for them. This hobby is extremely expensive, complicated, and delicate. I dont think a little kid could keep even the smallest tank up and running healthy.
Mark

flapper

Well I don't know about the little kid thing.....But anyway I got (2) Damsels, a Blue Devil & a Gregory, They said it would be awhile before my tank will git cycled, Still can't wait to git a eel though, They said that a small Snow Flake would be a good start but my 47 gal. wouldn't house alot of fish, also bought sum live rock for the eel.

flapper

Ok, I can plainly see where this is going, I somehow got my wires crossed and I mistakenly thought that this site was designed to help hobbiest to be more successful with their marine interest's, I somehow got on this site which apperently is designed to correct spelling and criticize, I apoligize for all the drama that i have bestowed upon your inteligence, Gee I sincerely hope that I spelled and prononced every word correctly so as I may get a better grade next time, P.S. my damsels are doing great, Thanks for asking....................................................Sincerely ( Mr. Flapper ) Oh Yeah, Have a Wonderful Day

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by Flapper
http:///forum/post/3123559
Ok, I can plainly see where this is going, I somehow got my wires crossed and I mistakenly thought that this site was designed to help hobbiest to be more successful with their marine interest's, I somehow got on this site which apperently is designed to correct spelling and criticize, I apoligize for all the drama that i have bestowed upon your inteligence, Gee I sincerely hope that I spelled and prononced every word correctly so as I may get a better grade next time, P.S. my damsels are doing great, Thanks for asking....................................................Sincerely ( Mr. Flapper ) Oh Yeah, Have a Wonderful Day
If it seems that way to you and you really are a new hobbyist let me apologize for the 3rd grade class in here. We have been getting alot of people trying to ruffle our feathers in here.
It is not advised to cycle a tank with damsels or any other fish. The ammonia burns their gills. Additionally the tank will need sufficient amounts of filtration such as lots of live rock to house an eel. Please read the sticky 101 things for new hobbyists on top of the Hew hobbyist forum. Then you can ask away. I think that will be a big enlightenment for you.
Unfortunately most people who work at pet stores don't know the first thing about saltwater fish.

flapper

It's all good, Let me start out by saying Thank You Oceansidefish, Ok, you say don't cycle a tank with fish ?, What do I use ?, I already have some live rock in there, Do you know how long it will take to cycle & how will I know when it has ?, Any info will be appreciated, Sorry about all the questions, Look forward to hearing back from you,
Thank You...........................Jason

markw

You could put a raw prawn or shrimp in pantyhose and float that in the tank. When it starts to decay, it will release ammonia. This is what will start your cycle. To know if it cycles, youre going to need a testing kit. One with at least ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. AT LEAST. The ammonia will spike, the nitrite will spike, then they both will go back to zero and your nitrAtes will rise. When the only thin hightened is your nitrAtes, your tank has cycled.
Mark

flapper

K, I will try that but I will need to figure out what to do with my 2 Damsels, Wonder if the pet shop will hold onto them for me till my tank gets cycled? Thanks

d-man

what's the deal!! come on guys there was no reason for comments like that!! most of you have been on this site for a while and some times complain that there's not that many people on here... I wonder why. !!
hi welcome to swf.com some people on here can be really stuck up, but there is a lot of good info so just pick and choose what you need! I don't know why you got a response like that but I'm sorry that's not what I've seen on here (most of the time).
I had a snowflake but he got out because my lid was not perfect, make sure you have a good lid for it. How long has your tank been up and running?

flapper

Yeah , Thats cool, I can kinda understand it since Oceansidefish explained it to me, I appreciate all the info & I will gladly share anything that I may discover with all of you guys/gals, My 47 gal. has only been set up since 8-23, I now realize that this is not a quick thing ( a small portion of the learning process ) as I have been reading other threads, As with Markw & Mkroher, We are straight as far as I'm concerned........ K guys, chat with ya later