New Tank

uscmizzy

Hi all I am posting today to recieve tips on my new setup. I recently purchased a 55 gal rectangle tank and want to start a fish only tank with no live rock or reef qualities. Along with the tank came two 150 B marineland filters, a heater, and some fake coral and decorations with gravel. Now I know I can't use the gravel and was thinking black sand but any ideas are welcomed.

My questions are:
1) What other equipment would I need a d is any of this stuff useful?
2) What types of fish can I do with a tank setup like this?

Any information will be helpful! Thanks again!

jay0705

Honestly don't think live rock means reef. Live rock is an integral part of sw tanks. It makes keeping sw much much much easier. You will need sw test kits, refractometer, power heads, possibly even a bigger filter. I use a 400 pro on my 75. Research a good sw book

flower

Hi, Welcome to the site. Yep, get a good beginners book.

If you don't have live rock, you will need to seed the fake coral with the tiny critters needed to keep your SW tank balanced. You get those critters free on rock, but one way or another, you need them.

You can use black sand, but it shows all the yuck on the sand, and it tends to fade to gray over time.

A 55g is a very tiny SW water tank, figure 5 fish that can get along together. EXAMPLE: A pigmy angelfish, a goby and maybe a few firefish and a Royal Gramma. You will need snails, a meat eater to eat the wasted food in the rock/or fake coral...such a brittle starfish or serpent star. A few shrimp too.

Unlike freshwater tanks, the cleaning up crew (CUC) critters for SW really do their job.

• SW has less oxygen, so you need a few power heads to circulate the water (the wave is life of the ocean, and your SW tank)
  • A skimmer (you won't need it right away, give it a few months)
  • Salt mix
  • RO (reverse osmosis) water is a must, RO/DI even better... if you can't get your own unit, go to a water refill station at the grocery store, but whatever you do...don't use tap water.
  • You need a mixing bucket, and a storage for clean SW (I use a plastic garbage can) a utility pump to keep the water moving in the storage, and stir the salt to help it mix for 24 hours before use.
  • Extra flex hose to help with water changes. attach the hose to the utility pump to remove and then replace water. (saves your back)
  • Hydrometer or refractometer... the refractometer is more accurate.
  • Your own lab type test kits, not strips.
  • For looks...a canopy and a background. SW tanks should be open, so no lid... a canopy gives the illusion of a top, and makes the tank look so much nicer. The background hides all the wires in the back and really makes the tank look good.

Chad C.

I would recommend not getting black sand. I had a friend with black sand and it really shows everything on the sandbed. You need to decide if you are keeping peaceful or aggressive fish, but with your tank size you would be limited on aggressive fish

Kristin1234

I would highly reconsider getting live rock.

Getting it now and putting it in while you are waiting a cycle is going to work better than if you add it later. Adding it later with livestock could be risky, once you place the rock in you will have a mini cycle that will release ammonia that could harm the fish.

It's a natural filter and your fish will be happier with it too. Gives them to hiding spots and much more.

uscmizzy

Good news! Found a LFS near me and thankfully they have live rock for sale $5lb which is that a good price? Also with the live rock in the 55 gallon they say get 55lbs. Could I do less and get 40 and will I be fine? The owner thankfully had a protein skimmer he didn't need and let me have it so I have that now.

Item List (so far)
55 gallon rectangle tank
2 HOB marineland filters
1 protein skimmer
Heater
And a hood

What else is need equipment wise to start up?

lmforbis

A couple power heads, one at each end of the tank. Salt water fish need a lot of current. You can get some cheap Chinese "wave makers" on Amazon for about $10-15 each. They aren't really wave makers they just call them that but are decent power heads. 2, 400 - 800 gph power heads mounted one on each end of the tank should be ok for a 55.
You also want to get some decent water test kits. I like Salifert kits. You need these to monitor the water during the cycle to know how it is progressing and when it is done as well as to keep track of your water quality and n a regular basis.
Otherwise for fish only you shouldn't need much more other than a lot of patience. It can take any where from a couple weeks to a couple months for your tank to cycle. Spend that time researching the animals you want to keep and how to quarantine fish. Come up with a stocking plan and ask about compatibility and order of addition when you get to that point.

A couple more things you will need are a refractometer
A source of RODI water to mix salt water and to top off evaporation. Never use tap water. It can be a home RODI system or store bought water.

Last edited:

lmforbis

As for live rock. I get 5-10 pounds of live rock and use dry rock for the rest. Personally I like pukani dry rock from bulk reef supply. It is light weight, for rock, looks nice and costs $3.79 a pound. The small amount of live rock will seed the dry with the bacteria you need. Much more economical.
Dry rock does need to be soaked in water for a week or so to loosen the dead life on it then I rinse it really well before putting it in the tank to cycle.

jay0705

Agreed on dry rock. 15lbs or so of live is fine mixed w the rest dry. Unless w shipping the $5 lbs live is the cheaper route.

lmforbis

Also one pound of live rock doesn't equal one pound of dry rock. Dry rock is much lighter. You may be able to get away with about 2/3 as much dry rock especially pukani.

spo2194

In my experiences live rock makes the tank cycle a little faster and it definitely provides a more realistic habitat for the fish. It is also great for helping filter the water and keeping the tank healthy.

Bella Smith

I think gravel is not a bad idea. I put Flourite black gravel in my tank and it looks very nice. I did rinse it first by poking holes in the bottom of the bag and placing it in a bucket. After reading other reviews I decided to bake it in the sun for 3 hours. Hardly any clouding of the water.