NEW TANK

falcon

I've had my tank setup since Dec and it dosen't seem to have cycled yet. It's a 140 gal fish only tank. I have aDAS H99 marine filter w/skimmer. I recently added a Eheim filter, so two filters going and I still have high ammonia levels. Can anybody help>

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously you are having cycling problem...you need to give more info about the livestock you have in the tank, as well as maintenance practrices. My guess is that you have too much livestock for a new tank.

fishgirl

Have you added any fish at all yet? Maybe that's the problem! I you havn't, go ahead and add some damselfishes, and put in fish food and stuff so there's acually something there to cycle. If you've already added fish, you probly added too many...see if the store will take some back. You've got plenty of filtration, don't worry about that. Hope this helps, but I don't know enough about your tank to say for sure.

falcon

I have one clown trigger, 1 yellow tang, 2 small clowns and 3 small damsles. Also the ehiem has been running for 4 weeks. Could I be overfeeding?

falcon

Originally posted by beth:
Obviously you are having cycling problem...you need to give more info about the livestock you have in the tank, as well as maintenance practrices. My guess is that you have too much livestock for a new tank.

falcon

Originally posted by beth:

I have 1 yellow tang, 1 clown trigger, 2 small clowns and 3 damsels. Could I be overfeeding? Thank you for your help

fishgirl

I think not. You probly added them w/o enough time between additions. I would let the tank go for a while and let it buildup and cycle it w/ the most delicate fish in the QT. This may be the Y. tang. Leave the damsles and trigger in threre; they're hardy.

falcon

Thanks for the help. All of a sudden the water conditions are perfect. I guess it cycled. The only problem now is the yellow tang has red rashes. Is that fatal? Thanks for the help.

fishgirl

My yellow tang got red rashes, and he got better after i treated him with Maracin in my QT. Do this very quickly and he should be fine. It was the stress of the cycling that did it.