New To Corals Show Me Some Cool Ones!!

fungus19

Brad new to reef aquariums, don't really know what corals are what. Show me some cool ones, with names, maybe I'll add some of your favorites to my tank.

ginarox

first picture is a frog-spawn.. second picture is a brain...third is i cant remeber,what it is called,, but its a coral...forth is a xania..and the fifth picture is a star polyps and next to it is some red mushrooms...i hope this helps... i am new at this hobby too,,still learning...have a great day... :joy:

seannmelly

the first pic is a devil's hand leather, second pink zoos, third pulsing xenia, fourth, candy cane, and finally the clam
Melly

mrdc

Originally Posted by dmjordan
mrdc how big is your long tentacle plate coral?

It was probably 4 inches in diameter but I hit it one day with the magfloat and broke it and it had been trying to recover ever since. It has looke good from time to time but I don't think it will ever fully recover. I am thinking about taking it back to the LFS for free and try another healthy one. They are really cool to have if you don't hurt them!

mrdc

They need moderate light and need to be on the bottom and IMO sand. I also consider something that needs to be on the bottom and moderate light should have bright light like halides. Meaning if you have halides the penetration of the light should be moderate on the bottom. Know what I mean? But don't get me wrong, they will eat whatever you give them and they will move if they don't like where you place them. They are also hardy if you don't hit them with the magfloat

puffer32

Here's a pic of my fav zoo rock, and those white flowery looking corals might be some type of star polops, though no one has identifed them for me yet.

Here's a close, but blurrier shot of them.

whackamole

Originally Posted by ginarox
first picture is a frog-spawn.. second picture is a brain...third is i cant remeber,what it is called,, but its a coral...forth is a xania..and the fifth picture is a star polyps and next to it is some red mushrooms...i hope this helps... i am new at this hobby too,,still learning...have a great day... :joy:
3rd is a colt

supalupa

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
i have some of those but havent gotten any pics
The nice ones always seem to grow slowly. I have brown with orange centers that grow like weeds but the greens grow very slowly.