New to Corals, Some Advice please.

lutz493

I have had my tank up and running for 6 months. My tank is a 55 Gallon. I am going down to Florida for Vacation during the first week of April, provided nothing changes, it will have been 2 months where I have had my water conditions where I want them, Calc 450, Alk 3.8, PH 8.2 - My Ammonia, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0.
I use RO Water, I run a Helios lightning system consisting of (2) 55 Watt Day Lights and (2) 55 Watt Acintic Lights. a Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead, 2 1/2 inch Live Sand Bed, around 90lbs of LR.
While in Florida I was going to purchase some corals. I wanna research corals between now and then so I buy the right stuff. I like Frogspawn, I like Sun Corals and I am unsure of the name but it looks like Pink Tip Anemones and spreads over the rock. Are these feasible for me to look at to add to my tank?
My biggest question is there a limit to how much coral you add at one time?
If somebody could help me out as to what I should be looking at or if I should be letting my tank run longer before adding corals lemme know.
Thanks alot~

sunken ship

There is no set limit to how many corals you can add at one time. Many corals have sweeper tentacles that will sting and kill other corals, so just make sure that you place any corals you get far enough away from eachother.

Hi Lutz493,
While it is a good thing to have an idea of what you want, please keep in mind many corals are NOT compatible.
Take the gardening analogy. Altho some plants flourish in the sun, many flourish in the shade. However, it is safe to say neither could live side by side.
So, research is what you need now. There are so many things to consider. Lighting requirements for one as mentioned, stinging capabilities, size tank, area of collection (keeping species from completely different areas of the world), and too many other things to mention.
It really sounds like you have done things right to this point. Have a little more of that patience and read-read-read, and then research! Believe me it will save you time and money, and not to mention the life of many corals.
I see so many posts that ask "what are the lighting requirements for my new coral?" What does it eat? etc. Don't let this be you. These are all questions that should be well researched BEFORE aquirement. Patient reefers are always the happiest ones, and the ones who stay in the hobby forever. There of course will be some mistakes, but you can minimize this.
Congratulations and good luck!
Barbie

lutz493

Thanks for feedback.
What I need is a good site which provides information as to what size tank I should have, lightning conditions etc. Do any of you have a book or website in mind that will give me this knowledge?
Also I am new, I know there is a huge amount of Corals I could probably read all day - What are good corals to being with?
I've read some stuff.
I've read Frogspawn is good Coral to start with and Sun coral is a nice coral and likes the shade which I can provide.
What is the abosolute easiest coral to keep? Leathers?
Again if anyone can stir me to a place of good information on corals I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Thanks.

sunken ship

I'm a big fan of bubble corals. They are very hardy, they like moderate light, spot feeding with meaty foods works great. If you have any questions about them feel free to ask. Mine is splitting as we speak.

A couple of books you might consider:
"The Reef Tank Owners Manual" by John H. Tullock. An excellent book for beginners into coral, or overall saltwater reef tanks. I still refer to this little gem once in a while!
The best book I have found on Corals: "Corals, A Quick Reference Guide" by Julian Sprung. Gives ALL the requirements of individual corals; region of origin; lighting needs, water flow; agressiveness; hardiness; and much more. Listed by common name and Latin name. This is my bible!
There are many many more. These two are my particular favs.
HTH
Barbie