New to corals

salt55

Hey, i have had my 55 gallon fish only tank up and running for about 9 months. i have had fairly good luck with it, some fatalities but none that were controllable by me. I recently purchased lighting to support corals. I would just like some input on which corals to start out with. What are some that are fairly hardy and good for a newcomer to the reef environment. Thanks alot.

tru conch

there are several kinds, but the easiest tend to be the mushrooms. they are extremely hardy, easy to frag, inexpensive, and there is a wide range of coloration.
some other easy corals are buttons/sea mats. again they are hardy and reproduce rapidly on their own.
these are the only two that i have first hand experience with. hth and good luck!

striker

The easiest I've had so far are mushrooms, bubbles and polyps. One of my favorites has been welsophilia brain. I don't know what your lighting is but these do require a sufficient ammount. They blow up during the day with water and shrink at night. This coral is also a favorite for my fish. My royal gramma lives under it and my sebae clown lives and sleeps on it. I haven't fed any of these individually but do feed plankton, brine and flakes to the entire tank.

striker

Almost forgot star polyps. They spread like wildfire. Not one of my favorites but visitors always like them because of the constant moving.